I have exTREMEly limited experience with it.
I do not develop crushes easily.
I have never been in a relationship.
I don't flirt (on purpose... I do on accident, though, which tends to lead guys on).
I don't really date.
But, as you all know, I'm interested in dating.
The idea of having a "good male friend" (Tracy's words) sounds nice.
I'm 25. I want to learn how to date.
I'm interested in the end result - a comfortable relationship.
But I'm just not so keen on going through the discomfort to get there.
So I wonder.
Does the dating journey have to be full of discomfort?
If you are full of discomfort, is this just a sign it's not the right person?
And the word dating.
It's strange.
I react badly to the idea of "Dating"
I feel out of control
and
really
really
really
scared.
I feel pressured to decide if I'm "interested" quickly.
And what if I need time to know?
What do I do in the meantime - while I'm figuring it out?
If I keep dating the guy, is that leading him on?
If I keep dating the guy, is that forcing myself to do something I don't want to do?
If I keep dating the guy, is that the right thing?
People keep saying that, when the guy is right, I won't need to answer these questions.
I had gotten a little "dating burnout"
I had decided I dislike dating.
I want to like dating.... but I don't.
I want to date.... but I can't.
So I hadn't signed onto Match.com in over 3 weeks.
Suavecito.
I'm going to tell him I'm not interested in anything more than friendship.
I have not answered his call twice now.
But I need to suck it up and tell him.
On a different note...
I had found myself thinking about a guy that I went on one date with (I called him Grass Frolicker in one of the earlier posts) over the course of the last few weeks.
So, last night, I signed onto Match.com, emailed him, apologizing for never responding to his request for a 2nd date, and asked if he wanted to meet up. He suggested dinner tonight.
So, I met him at a great restaurant (organic, casual, salads and soups primarily) tonight. Then we walked to get frozen yogurt and shared one.
I had a very nice time with him.
I liked that there was a friendly, low-stress attraction.
I am attracted to him.
He showed affection without being scary.
He would touch my arm a couple of times, and leave his hand there a bit longer than necessary, and then back away.
At one point, I was really cold - my hands were literally blue - he noticed - and my teeth were chattering. He rubbed my back, but didn't go all crazy huggy on me... And I liked the space he gave me.
He let me know he was interested without coming on too strongly.
Being with him tonight was not intimidating.
It was just like... flirtatious friends.
We made plans to go to the Computer History Museum together soon.
So, I'm honestly looking forward to that.
We'll see.
On a totally different note..
I interviewed a guy for a position at my company.
And he just wrote me an official "thank you" follow up email.
Then he wrote me another email that ssaid, "On a less professional note, can I take you out for a drink?"
WTF?!
REALLY?
REALLY?
DID HE REALLY JUST ASK OUT THE PERSON WHO INTERVIEWED HIM?
UM... guess who isn't getting the job!!!
ok, off to bed.
Oh my gosh you ARE popular! And you have just inspired me to sign up to match.com...created my profile last night ;)
ReplyDeleteSarah x
yay sarah!
ReplyDeletego slowly and don't' overwhelm yourself. that's my best advice.
ooohhh look at you both but seriously it is scary! I met Andy through a friend I met on a dating site. So it is possible. Funny thing though, the day I met Andy, his friend brought him round for a tarot reading and I so didn't want to meet anyone I didn't know. You know what they say, you just never know. But only go at the speed you want to, both of you!
ReplyDelete*hugs*
Sarah
I knew you were a flirt! :D
ReplyDeleteI'm not giving any dating advice, but if you like someone let yourself have fun. Just remember your rules and bounderies. Keep yourself safe and when your ready to move those you will know.
Good luck.
Oh and on another note, please let the manager know about the guy asking you out right away. That could be a huge HR nightmare. Best to let the manager know every thing right away with as much detail as you can. CYA, I worked in a very high stress, high complaint job for a while and you learn fast if someone does some thing odd you let your supervisor know right away. Honesty can not hurt you.
I posted this to my blog, but just in case you didnt see it, Ill post it here :) [Also, Happy Belated Birthday! I had no idea until fb told me it was a few weeks ago!]
ReplyDeleteMy reply to your question:
Caramel Latte: Caramel Syrup, Espresso shots, Steamed/Cold milk [in this order].
Caramel Machiatto: Vanilla Syrup, Steamed/Cold Milk, Espresso Shots, Caramel Sauce.
*Technically the caramel pattern is 7-7-3 in a 'crossstitch'. Most baristas are lazy and just kind of throw it on, other are overly enthusiastic and put too much. You can easily ask for a "Nonfat Light Caramel Caramel Machiatto" :)
If you want to go even lighter you can ask for SF Vanilla syrup as well, but, imo...stick with the Vanilla [CM gets one pump less syrup than regular syrup-lattes] and light caramel, it'll taste better.
Also, just for reference, Standard Latte:
Tall, 12 oz: 3 pumps syrup, 1 shot espresso
Grande, 16 oz: 4 pumps syrup, 2 shots Espresso
Venti 20 oz: 5 pumps syrup, 2 shots espresso
Iced Venti, 24 oz: 6 pumps syrup, 3 shots espresso
So you can always modify drinks based on that. And CM always gets one less pump syrup.
This has been 'Starbucks Lessons with Alex' ;)
I can completely relate to not being sure about dating. I have a hard time dating and I put pressure on myself to DECIDE if I like them. I constantly have to remind myself that dating is a way to figure out how you feel and how you mesh. THat pressure just makes it impossible to figure out your true feelings. It doesnt help. If there is a way to just let yourself enjoy their company without having to decide anything, assume they are doing the same, you don`t have to `know` right away. There were many times I wasn`t sure about J and look how happy I am now? I definitely had to tell myself to stop putting pressure on myself many times in this relationship. It`s scary. Maybe with Sauvecito you feel too vulnerable because he knows some of your history? Maybe that`s why you are uncomfortable? i find when I`m feeling exposed I have a hard time and if I feel exposed while dating it freaks me out completely. I have to go very slowly and make sure I`m comfortable before making any milestones or else I get scared and run away. I`m sure it`s frustrating for some guys but the right guy will be patient.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a nice time with the grass guy. Just enjoy his company and how you feel with him.
if I got asked out by someone I interviewed they FOR SURE would not get the job.. yikes!
have a good day!
Alex, thank you!
ReplyDeleteSuzie, yeah I remember in the beginning with you and J you were always wondering what you felt. I am the same way as you. I feel pressure to "decide." With Suavecito, it just went too quickly on his end. He had "Decided" he was interested early on, and was constantly expressing that, and I still had no idea. I felt I "should" be interested, but I think I'm not. With GRASS GUY (I will at some point explain this nickname.. his name starts with a J actually haha)... I'm goign to do exactly what you said... enjoy my time with him. Enjoy his company. And just... spend time with him and see.
David, I immediately forwarded the e-mail he sent me to my boss and HR. Yeah, the guy DEF isn't getting a job. Also, yes.. boundaries and rules... very important for me. Helps me feel in control and safe.
Sarah/Sairs, Thanks for the comment and for sharing how you met Andy.
Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog just now - it made my day :-)
ReplyDeleteI've had a few 'winks' and one message so far, but nobody who I like the sound of yet..will have to be patient though!
Sarah x
I'm just not very good at this comment thing lately. Not coming up with any great words of wisdom on much of anything these days. BUT I wanted to let you know I've been reading and you're in my thoughts...and I'm living vicariously through you with this whole dating thing! One day I too will be brave enough to put myself out there...just not today...or tomorrow...or the next day :)
ReplyDelete