Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Caught in Conversation

At 5:30pm, I was hungry. I said so out loud. Just a quiet, "I'm hungry." And the following conversation went down:

BOSS: You didn't eat lunch today, did you?

ME: Um...

COWORKER: No, you didn't eat lunch. Laura, I never see you eat. You didn't eat lunch, right?

ME: Um, no, I didn't.

COWORKER: Laura, I'm getting worried. Do we need to have an eating disorder intervention?

(Holy shit, did she really say that?! I always think that most people don't even consider someone might have an ED unless they look like they have an ED. I don't "look" like I have an ED. At all. She probably was joking with the comment. But, it's just a little to close to home for comfort.)

ME: Ha, no, I'm about to go get something to eat.

BOSS: I'll walk with you. I want some sun anyway.

(Boss and I walk to store... on the way. Based on our hang outs, Boss knows a bit about the ED)

BOSS: Are you in a slump?

ME: What?

BOSS: I mean, are you slipping? Are you having trouble with eating and not telling me?

ME: Um... yes.

BOSS: Dude! Tell me next time!

ME: Ha. okay.

(at store...)

ME: I'm trying to decide... do I want a luna bar or a PB sandwich?

BOSS: Seeing as a luna bar is not a meal, you should get a PB sandwich.

ME: Okay.

(I buy the sandwich, we are walking back)

ME: Ah, it felt so nice to get out and walk in the sun. I feel so much more energized. I'm not even hungry anymore.

BOSS: You're eating the sandwich.

ME: I know.

I have not talked to coworker about my ED (but my boss does now a bit. No details. Just the fact that it existed/exists, but it's not something we've talked extensively a lot), but I swear, it feels like everywhere I go, people say something to me about food. Thing is, they are saying harmless things. They don't mean it like "we think you have an ED," but because of my history, I am hypersensitive to all comments about my eating. Not sensitive like I take it offensively... I don't... just... hyper aware of all comments I guess.

But it's moments like today when I think "Gosh, maybe I am a bit messed up with food. I feel so normal sometimes. But if I feel so normal, why do people say things?" It's always sobering to realize I do stand out. I don't want to stand out with my eating habits, but sometimes I do.

Today I ate enough calories, but I did not eat them in a normal order. I had a latte in the morning. Then, at 6pm, I had a handful of doritos, a PB sandwich, 3 PB covered pretzels, 3 pecans, and 3 yogurt covered raisins. The end. So, I do not like this at all. It doesn't feel good to eat like this. I hate eating out of a rhythm. I will definitely eat in a rhythm tomorrow. I was being irresponsible again. Sorry... :( I just forget in the moment that it matters.

But, tomorrow, I really will have a goal in the forefront of my mind that I need to eat 3 meals composed of solid food.

I don't want this to be a thing that people notice about me anymore.
I'm always surprised that they still do.

3 comments:

  1. hey hun, I know what you mean. I am having some issues too and people are work are noticing too. By the way, are you having issues with numbers? The reason I am asking, is I noticed you had 3 PB cover pretzels, pecans and yoghurt covered raisins. If not, ignore me, if you are maybe you want to think about it and try to break the numbers. I guess I notice these things even if they're not there because of my numbers issue. I think you doing well and it's good you have your boss looking out for you!
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. You goof! I need your boss's number so I can text her and ask if you ate! HA that should scare you into eating.

    Glad they see you and give you such support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah,

    Historically, I've had issues with numbers.
    Right now, I do find myself counting calories sometimes, but then I drop it.
    The reason I wrote the numbers thre was just as a way of describing what I ate.
    Thanks for the comment and thanks for caring.

    xo,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete