Saturday, December 19, 2009

Problemo

Just got back from running and, Houston, we have a problem: My left knee/leg is NOT cooperating. It feels like there is a rubberband wrapped up from my hip to my heel - especially wrapped and tangled around my knee, and it's squeezing my leg/hurting. I finished the distance I wanted to do, but I had to walk/run mile 6 - 7 and I had to walk mile 7 - 9. I kept trying to run, but my knee would just buckle under me and give out. It was not working. I could tell by Mile 1 that this was going to become a problem. And everytime I bend or straighten my leg, it feels painful and off. This is not good. I don't want to take a break from running!!!!!! I don't know how to fix this or what the problem is. I just took 6 days off of running! I kept saying to myself while running "you can run with pain. Just relax your face and forget about it." That would work for a while, until my leg just wouldn't cooperate and physically would not hold my weight. And when I cross my legs (no matter which leg is on top), the pressure that is on my leg from my other leg hurts. What the heck, yo!

I went to look for possible cuases on the symptom checker on WebMD, and it told me I may be obese - lol. Okay, it also told me 19 other things it could be. THe "smart" thing is supposed to probably be to not run for a few weeks and take advil and potentially heat/ice (??) it? but I don't WANT to do that!!!!!!!

Hmmmm..... Too bad I'm not married to a physical therapist or something. That would be REALLY convenient right now.

(p.s., this is my 4th post in 12 hours.... um....)

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your leg/knee! Do you think that you pulled something? I don't know much about it, but I would say take a break or it might get worse. I know, it sucks. i remember last year when i was told to take a break from excerciseing because my potassium was low. I made it about one day.
    Is there an alternative form of excercise that is not so hard on your knee? Eliptical?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I pulled something; I highly doubt it's muscle. I have no choice but to take a break from running for a bit. This morning, I was thinking I'll have to stick with walking or the (dreaded) eliptical, but, now, I don't even know if I can do either of those two things. I'm not dying of pain or anything, but it hurts more and more as the day goes on and it only feels better if I keep my leg straight at all times. It hurts even to pull my foot in from the street and into the car. Or when bending my leg at all. I don't really know what this is about. I am going to give it a week or two and if nothing changes, then I guess I have to do something about it.... BUt, as is, I swear the pain gets worse as the day goes on - I have never felt this feeling before. so it does have me a bit worried...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. That sucks. I'm sorry...
    Do you think you could have overdone it? And sometimes, it's something with the bone...LAck of nutrition can result in bone loss, and that can happen. I have a friend who had something like this happen to her.
    I hope you figure it out, though!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete