Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Giving up the Notion of Blowing it

More quotes from FIT FROM WITHIN:

"The simple sentence 'I blew it' may be responsible for more weight gained than all the French fries at McDonald's. The scenario is, "I ate a [cookie, potato chip, candy bar]. I blew it. So now I have to binge for three days and be really miserable." Remember: there is nothing to blow. You are not on a diet. You had a cookie. Fine. I hope it tasted good. Either way, i's done. Get your brain out of your palate and go do something interesting. The 'blowing it' concept is a set up. It's a mind game. If you blow it, you have throw in the towel. Give up. Wallow in remorse. Then you have to face the daunting prospect of starting over: a new diet, another exercise regimen, another monumental undertaking. Instead, don't blow it. There are two ways to accomplish this. One is to keep your expectations realistic so you will reach them. For example, aspiring to eat three reasonable meals today and taking a walk is reasonable. Running 5 miles a day and eating nothing but skinless chicken and lettuce leaves isn't. The other way to stop blowing it is to disallow the concept itself. Let's say your plan today si to walk and eat three moderate meals, but you overslept, didn't walk, and had a lunch that would have been moderate for an NFL lineman but not for you. Did you blow it? No--unless you want to get back on the diet-and-binge merry-go-ground. Instead, eat a moderate dinner, and take a walk afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment