Highlights of the day:
- Running the training session
- Making a pretty sweet ass poster for the training session if I do say so myself :)
- Feeling very included by the full-time staff. Finding out that they knew they were going to promote me for a lot longer than I realized.
- Having a little girl braid my hair. (I look like I have dreads now -lol)
- Having a little boy and girl hug me and beg me to come visit them now that I can't tutor them anymore
- Really tasty food! (wheatberry, raisins, almonds, chocolate, salmon, avocado, oatmeal, hazelnuts, tempeh, toful, black beans, falaffel, seaweed)
- Having a mentee e-mail me saying that "today went well. I couldn't have done it without you!"
- Driving in a high-elevation area and seeing an amazing entire view of the Bay Area (city, water, bridges)
- Knowing that my boss really cares about me, and I've landed myself in the perfect environment for where I am at my life in this moment.
- Being alone in the tutoring center for an hour this morning, playing my own music while I set up for a training.
- Flirting with the barista (yeah, I admit it lol)
- Finalizing a date for Thursday (new guy)
The job: It is a good fit for me not just because I like the work and I like the people I'll spend the majority of my days with but mostly because it is a really healthy environment for me. IT is not a culture of glorified workaholism. My boss cares about my well-being. Examples:
- My boss has made it clear that I may not work more than 40 hrs a week (When I was a teacher I seriously worked like 60 -70 + hrs).
- My boss has made it clear that I may not work 7 days a week. She said, "If I find out you're working when you should be relaxing, I will not let you into the office the next day. I will lock you out and force you to take a break."
- My boss has made it clear that I may not skip lunch. Today I ran a training session and gave the trainees 30 min for lunch. But during that time, I opted to help my mentee as opposed to eat lunch. Well, around 1pm (I had been at the center since 8am), my boss said to me, "I haven't seen you take a lunch break, and that is not okay. In 30 min, I am coming in to take over the training for half an hour and you must eat lunch." So, I left, got sushi, came back, and sat in the back of the training, eating. My boss stopped and said, "No, when I said take a break and eat lunch, I meant like go read a magazine and eat lunch or something... don't sit here watching the training!"
- My boss sent me like 3 e-mails today telling me how awesome I am
I am keeping 3 of my students even though I'm taking on a full-time because they are all "special cases" for a variety of reasons. It'd be really challenging to find another tutor to work with them. Also, the families have said they will quit if I don't continue... so, for the sake of business, I am continuing with 3 students. That's nice for me; I love working with the kids. The rest of my kids, I have to give up though :(
I have a secret mission with my job (that I'm writing on a public blog lol) : to harness alternative funding to support instruction for low-income kids. So far, I've secured a few scholarships to give to such families. Tomorrow I am eating lunch with a local Rotary Society to see if they want to "sponsor-a-kid." Wish me luck!
Onto food...
Just wanted to say that I ate 3 meals and one sweet snack. Calorie wise, I probably ate a lot, but I'm not worrying about it too much. Mostly I just feel physically so much better than yesterday. It was all food I enjoyed. I was hungry for it all. I never felt stuffed. (That's my check to see if I overate or not) And I probably had some cells screaming for food from the previous two days. So... here goes: First time I posted food in a while, but I might go back to doing that for a bit.
B - packet of oatmeal
L - 10 pieces of salmon/avocado sushi (smaller than normal sized)
S - 2 squares (ghiradelli) of dark chocolate
D - unmeasured everything... I have no idea how to explain it. 2 strips of grilled tofu, 1 triangle of grilled tempeh, a heaping serving size spoonful of wheatberry/raisin/almond salad, 3 baked mini falafel balls
I'll admit that I was thinking "Well I'll just not eat tomorrow" (to compensate for this). Then I was thinking "How am I supposed to know what to eat? How am I supposed to know if I'm maintaining or gaining weight?" Then I remembered! YOUR BODY TELLS YOU!
okay, so I might give this whole listening-to-my-body-and-trusting-it thing another go.
I think the reason I ran back to restriction the last couple of days was because, on the other days in the past week when I was eating better, I was doing it because Jane scared me into it... or in any way, I was doing it for Jane. That can't be the reason. I have to own my own process and go at my own pace.
I actually called Jane last night and said, "Please don't call me today to encourage me to eat. I want to do this on my own. I need to know I ate well today because I chose to and not because I want to please you." (Text messages are welcome though!!!) So, she didn't call. She always calls when I get in ruts like this. Today she respected my message and didn't call.
And it was a normal day. I ate in accordance with hunger and craving because I knew it was right. I ate well today because I knew I wanted to be someone who takes care of themselves. THe idea of giving my body a bunch of healthy ingredients seemed appealing. Sure, I get scared. I get worried that I'm just being too easy on myself... But I try to just not think too much about it.
Plus, The idea of freaking my body out by never feeding it just seemed.... nonseneical. Certainly feels better this way.
I have to stop thinking I can control my body shape. I can't. My body wants to be at a certain weight. I have no idea what that is, but I must trust it and honor it.
Well, time to go have a relaxing evening to myself. It's already 8pm. Need to drive home, get some jammies on, do some laundry, read some books... :) PEACE!
I can relate so, so much! We have to trust our bodies.. they know what is best for us, we don't! Haha. You are so right to honour it. Good on you, girl. Your an inspiration to me.. I pretty much have a panic attack just thinking about not counting calories. I know it's difficult when people are influences like that, but your doing this for you!! To gain health and happiness. :)
ReplyDeleteYES YES AND YES! CHEERS TO REMEMBERING THAT OUR BODIES ARE TRUSTWORTHY!
ReplyDeleteI always feel like I have to be "Doing something" to my body. Why can't I just leave it alone to take care of itself?
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely positive post :-)
ReplyDeleteIt must be really helpful having such a supportive boss...I don't suppose she has any jobs for me does she?! ;)
And yes to trusting your body. Health is better than any ideal we might aspire to.
Have a fabulous day
Sarah x
Awesome boss!!! It will be nice to have encouragement to take breaks and not work overtime. Lots of potential repercussions morally and legally for the business as well as lets you stay balanced! Your boss sound amazing. Good stuff!
ReplyDeleteHunger = need food. I've got to remember that... Volume = unimportant. Right. Got it! Listening to the hunger.
SO glad that the new job is working out so well! It sounds like it will be a great place to work, and they are very lucky to have you there.
ReplyDeleteGreat job with getting yourself back on track with food. Take it one day at a time: don't let what you eat on day X affect what you eat on day Y, and try to use your common sense in addition to your body cues to let you know when you should eat. I'm supposed to be tracking my "hunger score" before and after meals for my dietitian, and for the past two days I've noticed I have not had a hungry "score" at all before meals, even if it's been a while since I ate and I know I need to fuel up. You have an exciting new job with great opportunities, just want to make sure you're taking care of yourself so you can get as much out of it as you deserve!
I always admire how you're able to turn around a slip and come back up swinging. Take care and treat yourself kindly, Laura, have a great day.
Very happy for you. The new job sounds great!
ReplyDeleteSarah - I'll let you know if any jobs open up? :) Thanks for the comment!
ReplyDeleteShells... listen to that hunger todsay! And add in some practicality. If you aren't hungry for lunch, eat it anyway :) Have a wonderful day!
Cammy... I had to track my hunger levels for a long time (nearly two years), so i know what you're talking about when you say that. You're definitely right that sometimes we have to use common sense. I've noticed that I've restricted more than normal for more than two days, I start losing my hunger signals. I just get used to the restriction or something. I'm glad you're able to add in common sense and eat lunch (or whatever meal) regardless of hunger signals just because you know that it's time to fuel up.
David... Thanks. Now go and take care of yourself, please! Think of the little boy within you. Treat yourself kindly.
Im so proud of you
ReplyDeleteI can so relate! i am having a really hard time trusting my body right now. Trusting it that I can eat and not blow up ect.
ReplyDeleteSorry i haven't commented on your blog for awhile! your insights are so good i usually cant think of anything helpful to add :)!
your boss sounds pretty darn cool! Much better than your old principal...
I LOVE reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteWe are soooo similar it's almost scary! Not only in where we are in our recovery, but our personalities, too.
My house computer hasn't been letting me comment on your blog and I haven't had time to get on here at school. I'm on an old laptop right now and it's letting me! I have been reading along, and mentally encouraging you. Just so you know. ;)