Sunday, February 7, 2010

Breathing again

In my last postl I wrote that food was awful. That was true. Yesterday I was feeling very out of control, like I was living in a tornado or something. It was like I couldn't see straight. I was noticing all my imperfections, how my body has changed in two days, I was worrying about a to-do list... and I was just feeling like I couldn't function. I was feeling soooo out of control. I was feeling so much pressure. I wanted to quit jane and tracy, not talk to any friends ever, never take zoloft (either that or increase my already very small dose), and just crawl into a cave. Except that I couldn't see straight enough to find the cave.

I tried to calm down. I went grocery shopping (which I hadn't done since December), and got food that I am looking forward to cooking and eating. I need to get back to the place where I look forward to food as opposed to avoid it and feel out of control around it. Food that will taste good and make me feel healthy. Also, last night, I read a funny book. omg - HILARIOUS book. (not the book I quoted last night) I watched a documentary about Lebron James . And I slept for 11 hrs. (And had a dream I went to Egypt, and was the fattest person in the country - yup, that was my dream). Despite the big sleep, I am still tired today. Abnormally tired. But that's okay. I can take it easy today and get enough sleep tonight.

Now I feel much better about myself today. I woke up not feeling an urgent need to restrict. I woke up not feeling mad at myself. I woke up feeling accepting of myself, and patient with myself. I am not feeling like I need to compensate. I don't feel out of control anymore.

I plan to eat brunch, an afternoon snack, dinner, and an evening snack today. I plan to feel healthy. I am eating Brunch with a friends in twenty min. Yesterday, my plan was to order only coffee and not eat. I didn't even care if I looked disordered or abnormal. I didn't care if it made her feel weird to eat when I wasn't eating. I was so adamant about the fact that I was putting my foot down, and I was not going to eat just because I had to go out to another restaurant with someone! No way was I going to eat. I just so badly needed my control back. But, I don't feel that way this morning. So, I will order oatmeal and coffee. I will eat a piece of fruit as an afternoon snack (an orange or cantaloupe). For dinner, I'll eat a salad that I will make with spinach, chicken, and beans. For an evening snack I will eat some fro yo - I'm working. I will be accepting of my body, which feels way fatter than it felt just a few days ago. I will be patient with myself And I will drink water, which I restricted in a big way the last two days. I restrict the water becuase the coworkers make me eat more than I'm used to... so then I feel more full than I'm used to.... so then I can't drink water because it'll make me fuller! So I end up so thirsty all afternoon. But I have to choose between being full and quenching my thirst or being dehydrated but avoiding feeling more full. I choose the latter unfortunately.

I think I started to feel out of control because I felt like I was being pushed (from coworkers) to eat more than I was comfortable with eating. I was going to work every day with a plan to eat a lunch I felt good about, and ended up eating things like pizza and entire sandwiches with thick slices of turkey and mayo and bagels. I also was just tired and had gone through a lot of changes - this week I've been going to a new job, worrying about how people are perceiving me in this role, going on dates, socializing with friends a few times, and getting too little sleep. I think I just need to take a step back for a sec. So, today is a day to rejuvinate, take care of myself, and make sure I stay healthy. I don't feel frazzled. I'm confident that today will be okay.

I'm appraoching today in a slow, calm, self-accepting way.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment...you are so right - we need days to sit back, relax and just be content to...well...be.

    Hope today enables you to achieve this :-)

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to come back to acceptance. It's funny that I am reading this right now as I this morning have accepted that my set point is a higher body weight than I'm used to and I'm okay with that at the moment. It's hard though because in 3 hours time I might not like it. It is so hard when your ED voice gets in the way of a normal happy day. I hope you enjoy your brunch and have a fab day.
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are feeling better. These waves are coming and going for you a lot faster now. And your getting back much more fast. That's so good. I am going to yell a little about not drinking. You need to drink. Drinking will not make you gain weight. It will aid in digestion (I can not spell that word to save me life!) and it will help you body CONTROL how it see's food. So drink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,
    firstly, i would like to say i truly admire your honestly on your blog. you say what you are feeling, good and bad and that that guts!
    secondly,
    i hope you don't feel terrible eating pizzas and full sandwiches, because, well, people eat full sandwiches for an entire meal all the time, its normal.
    may you have a wonderful day ahead

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mariposa, how was your day? Did you relax? I hope you took care of yourself today!

    Sairs: Yeah, I'm realizing I'm probably around my set point too. I hope you had a fantastic day!

    David: Thanks for noticing the progress. I know it's so bad to not drink water... it just makes my body freak out. I really haven't yet been able to drink water during the times that I'm full/freaking out about too much food. This has been a problem for years, and one that went under Tracy's radar for a long time - because I thought it didn't matter b/c "it's just water." But, it is annoying. I do need to learn how to deal with a "too-much-food" freak out AND keep drinking water at the same itme.

    Jam: Thanks so much for the compliment regarding my honesty. I don't feel terrible eating those things, in theory. I guess I just felt, in the last week or maybe 2 weeks, like I wasn't making my own choices around food. I was pleasing my therapist or I was meeting an RD goal or I was just "going with the flow" with coworkers, and it made me feel out of control, which made me less open to the idea of real food like sandwiches and pizza. I guess I'm not used to eating that heavy of stuff in the middle of the day, so it was just uncomfortable. Thanks for reading, thanks for the comment, and I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete