I have approximately four separate posts "saved as drafts" that I just cannot continue. So much has happened that they are already outdated. So let me do my best to summarize. I'm really skilled in the summarizing department :) (Kay, that last sentence... not necessary... if I am summarizing I can't say things like that!)
When I first got home, I was making little effort to hide my disordered-ness. I didn't care. I wanted to eat the way I wanted to eat. I didn't want to be so hungry that I was in pain, but I essentially only wanted to eat enough to ensure I could still get thins done and get through the day. The first day I came here, I ordered a steamed artichoke for dinner while everyone else ordered real things - and I ate the crust off of 2 pre-dinner breads. The next day I didn't eat anything (besides green tea) while my mom and sister ate, then I proceeded to act very full after a normal-sized dinner (I was very full!). The following day I did not eat lunch while my mom sat in a restaurant with me and told me we weren't leaving until I ate. she cut the sandwich in half.. then in fourths... then took a slice of bread off.... no eating. I didn't want to eat then (but "I would eat when I was hungry," I maintained) so I wouldn't eat then. At the same time, I was noticing the negative effects of "maintining hunger." I was not exactly myself. I was "going inward." I was not "connecting" with my family - there was distance. There still is actually and I feel bad about this.
The following day I made my "Stay Calm" approach and ate a lot better. However, I endured a massive confrontation at dinner. The following day, the confrontation continued at breakfast. I ate the crust of a slice of toast and went running, which stopped the conversation in its tracks. This morning there was more breakfast/lunch drama (see comment section of the previous post).
As the confrontations/explosions have occured, my behavior has become healthier (IER - NOT healthY....I KNOW, I KNOW...). I can't "go inward" and I can't order something weird (like a steamed artichoke) and I can't eat in weird ways (like only eating the crust) and I can't not eat when everyone else is eating (even if I'm not hungry). And I can't run after eating. And I can't tap my leg or act/look tense before/during/after meals. So, basically, to avoid more confrontations (and also because I know it's what I need/want to do), I have to resist being "disordered." And I don't know how this happened so fast, I don't know how I went backwards so fast, but it's really not an enjoyable experience to try to be "normal." Not being able to order something minimal, not being able to tap my leg or run, not being able to eat the crust and leave the fluffy part leaves me..... just very..... angsty and uncomfrotable. But I've been left with that angsty/uncomfortable feeling on more than a few occasions in the last couple of days and, like it always has, the uncomfortable/angsty feeling goes away and then I'm fine.
Throughout these many confrontations/explosions/dramatic episodes, it's become evident that my parents care imensly and want to be able to help me more than anything and want some security that there is a plan in place that will produce "results." However, it's also become clear that they really dont understand eating disorders. I try to be open with them and they make me feel like a moron. Here are some of the things they've done or said:
---"Use your brain and eat like a normal person!"
---"You say if you eat this now you'll be too full and you'll have to run or not eat the rest of the day or binge - but that is irrational! That makes no sense to feel that way so just stop feeling that way! Just be rational"
---"You can't not eat all day and then eat a huge meal" (their huge meal was 3/4 of a veggie burger).
---"Why are you eating now if you way that you were full 2 hours ago?" (There point was to point out how I don't recongize my fullness properly but I feel like I shouldn't be eating).
---"You can't eat nothing and then eat bad for you things" (bad for you thing was fro yo)
--"You are doing things that aren't healthy. If you care about being healthy so much why can't you be healthy? Just THINK! Think and do it!"
---"WHY CAN'T YOU JUST THINK HARDER. THINK HARDER AND EAT IT!"
--They have also shoved food in my face. Given me ultimatums "Eat this by 1pm or we're not driving you to the airport on Tuesday" They have told me I should stop talking to Jane and Tracy b/c they're clearly not working. They have told me they're going to put me on lock down and come up with a daily menu and moderate exercise regimen that the whole family will follow (PLEASE LORD DO NOT LET THEM FIND OUT ABOUT MAUDSLEY!)
My parents are not in denial anymore. They're not afraid of confrontation or this topic anymore. And that totally weakens the eating disorder. It makes me do the healthy thing even when I don't want to and even when it's hard. Realizing how hard it is to do the healthy thing, makes me realize how messed up I am right now.
Jane told me today "You better count your blessings you'er not 14." OMG I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO THANKFUL TO BE OVER 18 in my life than during this trip home. WOW, HOW DIFFERENT IS THIS WEEK WITH MY FAMILY FROM THE LAST ONE?!
How did this happen so quickly? Seriously! Not that long ago, I blogged about things other than EDs and restriction and Jane and Tracy. Now, it feels like my entire world had been reduced to an eating disorder. My thoughts revolve around it. The attention I get (from my family and you all) revolve around it. It's like "Woah. What happened to life?" Seriously!
Jane called around 5:30pm today. I was SO RELIEVED to see her calling because the "shit was hitting the fan" in my house and we really needed a mediator and I really needed my parents to be making decisions WITH me and Jane and I really needed my parents to talk to a professional and I really needed my parents to get educated. Basicaly, I needed Jane to "handle" my parents too. They really do mean well and they will be a key source of support for me. There are SO MANY LIES between me and them on this topic, that an openness between us and their support I KNOW will be essential. But it's just.... hard. With just me and them.
I need to talk to her. She's been on vacation so I haven't talked to her in nearly 2 weeks. And so much has happened since then! I even figured out why I stopped eating enough and haven't told her yet. I just have so much to tell her I feel like. Last she knew, I told her that the anorexic voice was not a bully. Rather, it was simply saying "eh... let's not eat." Well, as Tara predicted, that voice has changed into more of a bully - much more of a bully - much more enticing, much more "if you do this, then this, this, and this." I haven't told Jane about that change and I feel like I should. I'll leave her a message tomorrow realy.
Jane suggested family therapy. She talked to my parents on the phone for about ten minutes. She suggested they come up to sessions this Wed, and Thurs, and Fri. Yes, 3 sessions. She thought it would be important so that everything can get out in the open and resolved - and so that no one feels pressure to accomplish all of that in one session. So... that's the plan. My family has been consideirng coming back with me on Tuesday night and staying an entire week with me (in addition to attending Jane's 3 sessions). I REALLY REALLY don't want them to do that... but I dont know why. Maybe it's b/c I want to be left alone to be disordered. But also it's because I feel like I'm being babysat and I don't like htat feeling.....
My dad also had a chance to ask Jane questions. I didn't hear the whole thing but he asked if this was an actual regression or if he had just been in denial the whole time. Jane told him it was both. I also heard him tell her that this has been going on for too long and he wants to make sure a plan is in place to end this and he wants to take an active role.
Today my dad said "Think about us for once" And I burst out crying saying "I'm sorry I can't make this go away for you." I am really hurting them and I feel horrible.... I'm more distant. I'm less connected with them. It's like I came home and made no memories except for ED memories with them. My sister didn't really get to enjoy me, her big sister. My parents just worried the whole time I was home. No one understand this - this (ED) makes no sense from the inside or the outside - and I'm hurting a lot of people. :( <--if I could make that frown face huge, I would.
I'm not psyched about my parents staying for so long. I'm not excited about feeling babysat. I wish that I could have a session with Jane BEFORE the one that my whole family attends. this is going to be very hard. The water is about to boil over the pot basically.... and that will really leave me feeling powerless sometimes... Still, there's a part of me that knows this is good and necessary - and it's that part of me that's letting it happen. But, truthfull, I am so nervous and scared....
I really go back and forth between "wow, I'm really messed up" and "It's nt that bad and if everyone can give me some space I'll be fine!"
I might be struggling more so than I have in a few years - but I do *want* to have a life without this problem anymore. I do want it gone once and for all. I'm just so tired of trying. And it's weird that it's not just 'going away' easily. I'm getting totally drained and exhausted from this. I feel like I finsih every day run over by a freaking semi or something (just from trying and thinking about it).
You know, I know I'm complaining like "oh my world is so small now" and "oh my parents don't understand" but, really, I have a very good life and amazing support. I get it - I've totally been "crashing" this last month, but I made an awesome life decision (not teaching - might have played a part in the not eating thing but I had to make the decision.). I have a nutritionist who goes above and beyond. I have a therapist who cares. I am able to see both of these two people. I have a wonderfully supportive family. I have an amazing relationship with my parents. I am open to them about EVERYTHING except eating disorders. I have a few good friends who I am now (finally) able to be open to, and they are not only willing (but wanting!) to listen. I have a great friend who is flying fron NY to visit me just to be with me for a few days (in a couple of weeks). I own a computer that allows me to blog and, in doing so, I have met you all.
I might have an eating disorder, but besides that little blip, life is good and I have a lot to be thankful for.
oh, and in case if you wanted a food report for the day...
1. there was the watermelon
2. there was the "bit" of brown rice/salmn
3. there was a snack of 1 saltine, 1/2 slice cheese, 1 walnut, lettuce with a spoonful dressing
4. there was dinner of 1 slice of cheese-less pizza and 1 cup veg. soup
5. there was no running
6. yes i'm aware that's not enough - but that is WAAAY better than what was happening before coming home.... and that is pretty good for the day after a night of overeating
7. yes i can promise that tomorrow will be better
8. plan is: oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. Sandwich for lunch. banana for snack. family dinner. possibly fro yo for an evening snack. with a moderate run. (That would satisfy one of the earlier meal plans I had. and it wouldn't be too far off from the more recent one).
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Family is family no matter how old you are. I know that you can see how bad you are doing, but right now the ED voice is stronger. You need someone to stand up to the ED voice and be "your" voice.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will take your parents help. Quit playing around with ED. He's like the house and the house alway's wins.
I am at a loss for words...I know can you beleive it:) me with nothing to say...hmmmmm lets see I got to think of something brilliant...something powerful./...something inspiring....
ReplyDeleteokay about your parents coming home with you now I know ED is pissed...I know mine would be( I mean how can you two hang out if your rents are always in the way??)thankgod for parents, thankgod for there persistance and for them well careing enough to do this...remember ho whard it is for them too , i mean how can you expect them to understand something you dont and its happening to YOU!! they have got to be super scared, I know I am...I hate to be the barer of bad news but although its great they are coming to appointment so that they can understand...how will that make you eat...no offense but you really havent done so well this past week...even with all the confrontations...your still hanging out with ED...playing his little game...I know you want your life back teh question is how bad are you willing to work for it cause its not some one day magicly appear...there is no magic wand...there no easy way out to gain yourlife back...its like fighting an uphill battle with flip flops on its hard and uncomfortable and yea a bit scary cause you could fall down and get hurt...but if you want to get to the other side you have to keeping going foward...I know you dont "want" to be living a small contained miserable life but thats exactly what you are doing and every day that passes it will get harder and harder to dig out of the hole you fel into! I have my ladder but right now i think you would throw it at me and sit on the bottom of the hole and think well at least i dont have to eat down here...well Ill throw you some food sista, I am reaching out my hand and my ladder that you threw at me...and I am telling you..T and J can talk to you all they want but if you arent willing to follow what they say you will be stuck in that dark place forever and I knwo you dont want to here it but I still think IP is teh best decision for you, could you at least call your insurance company and see what they have to offer...there is no harm in being informed...Knowledge is power and right now I thinkyou need all the power you can get...you could always wait til you are to sick to make yuor own decisions which really doesnt seem to far off but would nt it be a kick in ANs ass to do it on your OWN!!!
guess i found some words...I dont know how helpful they were but at least I tried...
((((HUGS)))) and ((((SAFTEY))))AND ((((ANTI LOVE SLAVE REPELLANT:) ))))))
love, Tara...I almost well did right tata...like as in boobs lol :)
Tara, thanks for the comment. I was starting to climb into my hole. You helped me remember why I don't want to be in there. I'm going to go and eat a snack and apple - THE WHOLE APPLE- and a yogurt - See proper snack 1 milk, 1 fruit.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that even though I didn't comment at your last, but I have been reading and thinking about you. I just don't know what advice to give. I haven't been thinking very healthfully lately and want to be encouraging, but just don't know what to say. I guess I would just say be open to all the help you can get, even if it makes you uncomfortable. In a perfect world we would all have recovery on OUR terms, but that's not always what happens in the reaal world. The important thing is RECOVERY, not always how you get there. I'm wishing you well today and anxious for your updates!
ReplyDeletei am in the same boat as lisa ... i am reading, but not sure what to say or how to be encouraging. do what you need - not what is comfortable ... i have to constantly remind myself that it really doesn't matter how i feel - i have to eat regardless. feelings are not facts - they lie (as does ED)
ReplyDeletethinking of you
Thanks everyone.
ReplyDeleteI keep hearing that I have to do the work, that I have to try, and I keep thinking "Okay, well, I want this all gone but I don't know what I'm supposed to do!" I guess it means I'm supposed to eat and not do disordered things. I think it also means that I try to stay in the present moment...
Sometimes I think: Do I REALLY want this to end or do I want people to just think it has ended so I can be left alone to be disordered? But, then I think "Wait, Laura, are you saying you don't want to eat normal size meals, be comfortable with them, be at your healthy weight without doing weird things to get there?" And I think, "Of course I want that." Me - the real me - doesn't want to have an eating disorder for the rest of their life. Sometimes, in the moment, I just get fooled into thinking I do.
Anyway, I'm going to try to live presently and non-disorderedly today. I'm going to take the day away from the computer and the blog and just try to be present, be with my family, and eat well. I'll give an update at night.
Breakfast was good. No family Drama. I didn't eat to prove anything. I ate because I was hungry and because it's the normal, healthy thing to do. It was a REAL breakfast. 1/2 a banana, 1/2 a peach, a container of yogurt, and some Honey Bunches of Oats all mixed together in a bowl + 2 wonderful mugs of coffee. I feel satisfied. I don't feel hungry and I'm okay with that at the moment. If I want to let myself freak about not feeling hungry, then I can. But I'm just not going to go there....
Now, off to the store with my mom. I'll be back tonight.
K I coudn't stay away. A quick update:
ReplyDeleteLunch happened - a turkey wrap. Made with plenty of turkey and some LF ranch dressing. The only weird thing was I ony used half the wrap. Reaction is that I'm so mad afterwards. I am so mad. I want to be hungry and I am so so so mad. I'm mad at my mom. I'm mad at non-hunger. I don't even know. This blog is always written right after I eat, which means that I always write in the most difficult times. I always have this post-eating angst. a;skjdfaskjfalskjfadslfjk That's what I want to do. I want to run because I'm mad but I just ran (a moderate amount. for real. less than I ahve been running). So... time to stay calm. Okay. Was it the right thing to do? Yes. It won't make me fat? No. All it will do is make me not hungry - but that's a normal thing and, really, hunger/fullness is not the thing to spend my life focusing on. Okay... breathing again... okay, it's all fine. Really, I feel fine now. And now I'm less likely to be so hungry at night - which decreases chances of sleep eating and bingeing. So that's all good news.
I'm mad at my mom because Tracy called and asked me if I want to come in today or tomorrow. I want to but my mom won't let me go!!!!!! WTF! I can't just go without her permission because I don't have a car here so I'd be having to use her car, which, right now, is a rental car, and, since I'm not 25, I can't drive it.... but seriously - how can she be all confrontational and want "a plan" and want "results" and then tell me "you just saw her last week I don't think there's a point in seeing her." And then I said "Is it because it's logistically hard to get there?" And I offered 3 different ways I could get there without inconveniencing her much and she just said "I think just don't go." And then she refused to talk about the topic anymore! WHAT THE HECK! SERIOUSLY! I REALLY WANT TO SEE TRACY! How is my mom willing to freaking FLY to San Francisco to attend 3 (THREE) thereapy sessions but is not willing to let me go to the nutritionist's appointment?! And I was going to get real use out of this appointment. I am in a place where I'm wanting/willing to say "okay. I'm not doing this properly. I need your help again. But I don't want the same kind of meal plan as last time. I do need some guidelines though..."
Maybe I'm just being a selfish baby... probably.
anyway, time to take a shower, keep the inner voice calm, and go make cookies with my sister.
ReplyDeleteI dont know how to say this to you but I need you back...I need LAURA!!! I am starting to slip in my thoughts and need your advice and i cant have it cause you are to wrapped up in ED to help me...I miss the laura with all the amazing, inspirational advice...I miss you Laura, come back to us(me)please Laura stop this madness and come back to reality...tell your MOM you must go to your appointment...tell her others are depending on you, that you are letting others down, that we want and need to see you happy and healthy...I am trying to be the inspirational one while you are (gone) but I cant do it, not like you can...we need you..(I) need you, I miss you and am very sad without you...i know when I couldnt do it for myself I did it for others if not for them then to prove to them I COULD do it...and yes it happened on blogger...just wanted you to know you are not teh only selfish baby out there...Im right there with you, and selfishingly I am saying..."LAURA COME BACK TO US"
ReplyDeleteLove you and miss you
Tara
I know it's always hard to have family around. Most of them don't understand eating disorders. What they're doing may not be helping, but consider how helpless they must feel because they can't help. They sound concerned and probably scared.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that they should infantilize you, but I just think they don't know what to do. I think the best thing that you, yourself, can do is to show them that you can progress on your own with or without their help.
Tara, I want to come back too. And I'm getting closer - it may not look like it, but I actually am. I'm becoming more motivated. I'm wanting to show everyone that I can take care of myself. I had like 9,000 ED thoughts today that I did not listen to or engage with. I will be back soon - seriously. I want to be there for you again, and that time will soon come. I think I just needed to not feel so scared and alone - and, with my parents involvement, with a lot of attention from J and T, with this blog, and by being open to some friends - I feel less scared and less alone and that is helping. My thinking is getting better (whether or not it looks like it --- keep in mind that I usually blog AFTER eating... ha)
ReplyDeleteJust Eat It, that is really good advice. Thank you!
Ok I haven't commented in a while because I too, like a lot of people, don't know much what to say. But I have to say this one thing. And I'm sorry if it sounds mean, because that's not my intention at all.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first started reading your blog I thought, 'well here's someone a lot like me', this is cool. I understand that I came in the beginning of the summer when you were feeling very evolved, very healthy, in a great place. I get that relapsing, which is what this is, is so understandable and does NOT mean you're giving up in any way. You will get through this, I don't doubt that at all.
What I want to say is, for the last month or so, and especially and increasingly since you've been home, you sound like a child. I just read this, and your comments and I thought, where is the strong woman who wants to save the world? Who is capable of maybe doing just that? What is coming out now is a scared, defiant, little girl who is afraid to move forward. If you stay obsessed with food, in your parents house, listening to everything they tell you to do, you're still a little girl. Is that what you want to be? I think you are WAY too smart, and caring, and deeply mature somewhere inside of you to give into this voice that is holding you back. You have too much to offer, and far too much to gain as a woman, as an adult. I REALLY hope that this is coming out the way I mean it to, which is with kindness and not in any other way. I realize that I do the same thing, I start to act and sound the same exact way when I get wrapped up in my ED obsessed world. I start acting like a child who needs to be taken care of. And trust me, controlling mom's- I have got the end all of controlling, overly emotional, denial filled mother's- who yes, loves me more than anything in the world. But at some point you need to take care of yourself, which means so many things, one of them being taking control of what professionals you need to see and when. Believe me when I say this, I know it is so much easier said than done. I just want the smart, capable woman back- no matter how much she's struggling or feeling weak right now. She's in there, and she can struggle too.
I hope nothing but the best for you, if we're loving quotes these days, here's one I like:
"Always remember: You're smarter than you think, stronger than you seem, and braver than you believe." - Christopher Robin :)