I had a rather unexpectedly confrontational/intense/kinda scary session with J today. Tracy and J talk, which means there's never any hiding anything. So, after my restrictive week (which, according to them, was preceded by two restrictive weeks and culminated into a much too restrictive week last week), Tracy of course tells J all the details.
J and I don't talk about food THAAAAT much. Mostly because I've been pretty nutritionally stable and, therefore, able to talk about other things. Also because I always figured "I can't talk about food with her if I also have a nutritionist." I didn't understand the point of J for a while (like, until May).
J put all these rocks on a plate. The big, spherical yellow rock represented my core - "you're a nice and good person." All but 4 of the other smaller rocks represented good, unproblematic parts of me ("helpful, curious, persistent, funny") (<--her words). Then she said, "In therapy, we don't' really focus on your good natured core or these other good parts of you. We tend to narrow in and zoom in here (she points to 4 rocks). These rocks are parts of you that are problematic. And, since we talk about those parts, it can tend to make you feel crazy and misrepresented." She the said the 4 problematic parts of me are:
1) "Anorexia" (She actually said the word. Ugh. She did not say eating disorder. And she said the word about once every other sentence, seriously)
2) "Anxiety"
3) "OCD compulsions/tendencies"
4) "Self punishing" (Although, she said I'm a lot more nice to myself than I was at the beginning of therapy. This is true.)
She played around with the rocks, putting the "Anorexia" underneath the OCD and Anxiety, then next to them, then on top of them. She said she wasn't sure exactly how these rocks were arranged, but the reason that "this isn't over and the anorexia is still here (which, btw, my weight is totally normal and I'm not even kidding) is because we're just now realizing that there is OCD compulsions and anxiety and we are just beginning to treat those."
I sort of just smiled and nodded. Sure, whatever. I have no idea. I see what she means though... I guess.
Then she wanted to talk food specific. She wanted to know what on earth happened last week.
I told her that it was the first time in a while where I knew I was doing the wrong thing but my brain just felt "stuck," like I knew I should eat and I wanted to eat and I couldn't. I told her that I read her book, BRAIN LOCK, and that pulled me out of it. She commented that Tracy had told her that I wasn't yet out of it because I only ate __ and __ yesterday. I was like, "Okay, I know this looks bad. I get that I'm like an alcoholic holding a bottle saying Seriously, I don't have a problem. I get that that's what I seem like right now. I know I'm hard to believe right now... But I did pop out of it. My brain did get unstuck on Monday afternoon and Monday was good because of it. Tracy thinks I'm not unstuck yet because I only ate __ and ___ yesterday. But that was seriously because I wasn't hungry. But Tracy says it doesn't matter if I'm hungry. But, really, I know, I know. If I were you I'd think I was not unstuck yet either. But I can feel that my brain is more rational now."
We sort of analyzed how last week ended up happening. This is what we realized: It started off with letting go of calorie counting and beginning intuitive eating. I felt great because I gave up my system of rules. I also gave up the meal plan and I was going to intuitively eat. Intuitive eating does have some rules, though - such as eat when you're hungry and stop when you are full. It's that whole 'stop when you are full' rule that got me. Suddenly I decided I could be full on a little less. And then a little less. And then, I was aware I wasn't full but, who cares, I'm still having a great time in life! In the past, I had things in place to keep me from "letting the anorexia be in control" (her words). I had a meal plan. I had the desire to please Tracy by being a good meal plan follower. I had a roommate who would get very upset when I wouldn't eat and so I had a desire to keep her happy. In order to keep her happy, I had to eat. I also had a fear of bingeing. Suddenly, all these things that kept me eating were gone: I still wanted to please Tracy but, with no meal plan, it's easier to eat less and please her. I no longer have a roommate. I stopped keeping food in the house. I didn't fear bingeing (I hadn't done it in a while and there was no food in the house). So, without these things keeping me in line, "the anorexia took control." (her words). Then J started talking about anorexia and about how its not gone and I supposedly have it and it sneaks up on you like this and you have to be careful.
She told me that if I cannot eat better, she'll have to recommend that I do not live alone. Not like I have to take her recommendation but, still, a kind of serious thing to hear.
Then she told me that she can tell I have a "calorie deficiency" right now and that I'm not yet "unstuck" because my skin is "paler" and my eyes are "less colorful" and you seem to have less "pep." I don't' know if this is true or if she's just making this up to scare me into eating more.
She wanted to know what I had had to eat today. Then she got really serious with me after I told her (it was like one bite of something) and wanted to know exactly what I was going to eat/drink for the rest of the day. All of the sudden, she was on this mission to give me calories. She wanted me to drink juice not water. She wanted me to take a snack to physical therapy. ETc. ETc. I told her "no, I don't see that happening" to a couple of her ideas. And she was very understanding and said, "Okay, that's too challenging right now." I always responded by saying, "It's not too challenging I don't have any worry around food. It's just that I don't see myself actually eating it. But it's not because it's challenging. Nothing is challenging anymore." And she said, "This is the anorexia talking trying to convince you that you're fine. It is challenging or you would eat." Then she was funny and said, "Just a side not: you do have to eat to not die, you know that right?" I laughed loudly on that one. I said, "Oh, wait, let me write that down." She goes, "Here's a pen if it'll help!"
J wanted to know if I'm motivated by anything besides bingeing to eat. I told her that I think I am motivated already b/c I already have experienced the negative effects of eating too little. She wanted to elaborate on what those were this week. I told her not enjoying exercise, feeling fatter than ever, feeling too hungry to think, hallucinating/ worrying that I ate when I didn't, noticing that I'm less connected to the customers at the fro yo store. But I also told her, "I know this sounds so disordered and bad, but it's not like this is my whole life. I also socialized a lot more this week and had a lot of fun." She said that was good but that I can't ignore the seriousness of this "regression" by claiming to enjoy life while it's happening... I don't know. I'm confused now.
Anyway, in the end, she asked me to write the answer to the question: "Was my brain stuck today?" every day this week and read my answer to her answering machine every night and turn in the log the next time I see her. She also wants me to tell her answering machine if I ate or not. Specifically, she wants to know about dinner.
So - um - wow... I feel like this all came out of nowhere and it's a little unreal and I don't know how I feel about it. Tracy and J are acting very serious towards me... J kept saying, "This is a huge regression and we need to stop it right now."
I don't get it - I don't get if this is real or not. J and Tracy are never wrong but they are reacting so seriously. Do I need to be worried? I'm confused! Is it ACTUALLY a big deal? I don't know....
Even as I write this blog I feel like I'm not talking about myself. Yet, I also know I'm not lying here so that's weird.
I also know they say "this is serious" and I say "no, don't worry," and yet - my report for today isn't good....
So to J:
Aug 5: Was my brain stuck today?
I noticed that my brain was stuck in the morning. I had an urge not to eat. It wasn't to make up for anything and it wasn't because I felt fat. I just didn't want to eat because that seemed better. At the same time, I knew I'm supposedly "out of it" and I knew I wanted to tell you I ate breakfast, so I ate 1 bite of something. I decided that's enough to claim I ate breakfast and I stopped.
At lunch my brain was stuck again. I thought "you don't need to eat." Yet, I had JUST discussed with you exactly what I was going to eat for lunch. I told you I'd eat it. If I didn't have you, I'd probably have eaten something random and little because the hunger would have gotten too much, but I knew I just had to eat because I told you I would. So I ate the 6'' subway turkey with cheese and LF mayo. My brain was unstuck after about 2 bites. The sandwich tasted so good and I felt like I could think again.
I didn't eat a snack or drink juice during physical therapy because it seemed logistically awkward and I just didn't' see the point. It wasn't that my brain was stuck, I just thought it'd be weird to eat.
But my brain got stuck at dinner again. I was so, so, so, so hungry for dinner. If I didn't work, I'd probably have sat down at the kitchen table and eaten it. If I didn't have to call you tonight, I might have eaten a lot less. But I knew what I *had* to do and I couldn't bear to think of telling you I skipped dinner after you so seriously told me I need to call you and tell you I ate dinner. So I packed my dinner and brought it to the frozen yogurt store. There was time to eat dinner. A coworker even warmed up my dinner and handed it to me and said, "Time to eat.... just trying to help." Even though it was there, in front of me, hot, my brain felt stuck and I didn't eat it. I just looked at it. I knew I should eat it. I knew I had the caloric space to eat it. I knew it wouldn't make me feel guilty. It didn't even make me feel anxious. I knew good weight management is NOT skipping meals. But I didn't want to eat it. So I did the things the BRAIN LOCK book tells me to do, but it didn't really work. And then I imagined the EVOLVED ME eating dinner (like we did today in your office) and I could picture it. I could imagine it. Nothing bad would happen. It'd be nice to eat dinner. But I didn't eat it.
I'm sorry...
I want to eat tomorrow because I want energy.
(This is an unreal post to me. I sound like an idiot crazy person. JUST FREAKING EAT! WHAT IS MY PROBLEM! this is not me! I am better than this so I don't know what the heck my problem is!)
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, I don't know what to say about you not eating dinner. We already talked about all of the other stuff. I can't wait to see what J. does about this. I bet she calls you today. You are so in denial and you want to pretend that you're not anorexic, but you are and you're getting worse. You keep denying it all and coming up with excuses like "I don't care about the calories," when in fact, you do!
ReplyDeleteLike I've said before. Don't eat. No one is going to force food down your throat. Maybe you should write a letter to J instead of Charro!! Clearly you need her more.
This is serious! You're going to have to eat. When you restrict you don't have enough brain power left to fight off ED. I know that you don't want that. You've just been through some really tough stuff in your life, that made it seem like you were eating normal or "evolved". ED uses the distractions in life to get you back. He lie's and tell's you your doing what normal people do. HE LIES! Remember you are not normal, you are SPECIAL! Your a wonderful person but, yes there is a but, you can't always judge what your body need's. That's why you have J and T to keep you in the right place. Listen to them. If you can't eat, get a shake or make a smoothie, something to keep those brain cell's going so you can fight!
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself please!
I have to agree with our PTC, you are in complete denial....I know you werent hungry, or you didnt need it or place some other reason here_________ for not eating but the truth is you have ANOREXIA...I know I said the word, th eword we all despise but sometimes my love the truth hurts(said with so much love)..You didnt eat dinner and there is really no excuse for that other then AN told you not to...I mean really what "evolved" people make there dinner only to stare at it? You have a lot going on, made some major life decisions but that CAN NOT be used as an excuse to NOT eat...I mean really tell me where that will get you, a big fat NOWHERE!!! I know you want more out of life then the AN gets you, you dont want to be living some small, contained life revolving around when you will and wont eat do you? think back to teh weekend you had with your family, how much you enjoyed them, how much they enjoyed YOU!!! Do you really want to give up that feeling for some mental illness( thats what AN is...a mental illness)....stop...pause...and breath...you need to eat. what would you tell any of us? honestly, I want to hear what you would tell us if we told you we just stared at our dinner and although we had so much intention of eating it we just threw it away...what would you say? I will not say dont eat, but I will also not beg you to either...I know Laura is in there, where did she go? All I hear is excuses why AN is allowed back in your life...i dont wnat to hear excuses..I want Laura back...and I bet if you ask her ( not the disorder) she does too!
ReplyDeleteLove you, Tara
i get this ... i had a major regression not too long ago and am still trying to pull myself out of it. As soon as my tx team noticed they talked to me in the very serious way that yours seems to be doing, and even mentioned IP as a possibility, and I thought they had lost their minds ... I didn't see it. I felt great, and I wasn't hungry, and I had enough energy to get through my day ... and I honestly thought I had eaten when I hadn't.
ReplyDeleteI kept telling them they were crazy, but over a period of a couple weeks they were able to show me proof that I was really not okay ... when I actually saw what they saw, it freaked me out. How had I not known? i did not see it coming at all.
Then I found myself in much the same place as you - I could not do what they were asking of me. Eventually, I had new methods of accountability put into place and I wanted to avoid IP, so I made some progress. I am still working to make more progress. My regression went on for months - I hope yours does not have to last that long. You can turn this around.
They are professionals, you trust them, they know what they are talking about. Take a deep breath and do what they are telling you to do whether you want to or understand it - just make it non-negotiable ... and find some support if necessary.
you can do this ...
and you are worth it.
Sorry you're having a hard time. I've been having somewhat of a hard time too, I think partly due to the uncertainty in my life right now. Even though I still think my decision not to teach was the right choice, I panicked just a little when I had to actually send in my letter (the point of no return).
ReplyDeleteSince you live by yourself, can you make dinner/ lunch dates with friends for as many meals as possible? This could help you take the first few bites and get you past the "brain lock."
You might be feeling fine and enjoying activities unrelated to the ED now, but you know that this path only leads into a downward, miserable spiral. The earlier you can nip it in the bud, the better. And remember, restriction does not actually lead to weight loss, it just messes with your metabolism.
Good luck, take care, and remember your mantra "now matters most" - you can still make the choice to do the "evolved" thing starting now!
These are all really, really motivating comments. Seriously, thank you, everyone. I'm still processing what everyone has to say. In the meantime, I did eat breakfast. I do feel pretty confused and need to get a hold on this. I need to find a way to step outside of myself and look at the facts. I know I can do that I just need time to think. Problem is, not eating enough and thinking clearly dont' usually go hand in hand. So I've made a decision to eat today while I think. If, for whatever reason (I know this will not actually happen), I think and realize that not eating is the best answer (obviously not - I know...), then, fine, I can stop eating. But, if I realize I need to eat, then I wont' ahve any ground to make up because I will have been eating in the meantime. I know it's hard to believe me saying any of this b/c I also promised J yesterday I'd eat dinner and I didn't... so... yeah, I understand not believing me.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to go think now and I'll post again soon. I need to answer the questions:
1) Why not eat? what's holding me back? What am I so scared of?
2) What will happen if I continue to not eat?
3) What will happen if I start eating normally?
4) What are the facts? Is J right? Is Tracy right? Are you all right? What is the truth?
5) Who is the Evolved ME (I need a reminder) and why do I want to be her?
6) What do I need to do in order to ensure I don't slip into a place I don't want to be? What systems, habits, structures, whatever do I need in place?
Thank you you all. I'm going to bike to a place with free wifi with my laptop and think. I'm going to write and write and think and think. I'm also going to apply for a job and study for the GRES and I'm going to eat a sandwich while I'm at it (just in case eating is the absolute right thing to do. I mean, I don't want to realize I need to eat and then be like 'oh, crap, haven't done that in a while.' I'd rather realize I need to eat and say, 'Oh, good thing I did.')
In addition, it has been my experience that when others show concern and tell me I'm in denial, they're right and I'm wrong. So maybe I need to trust that and take my mind out of this for a while.
I don't know...
I am so freaking confused...
I don't feel like myself. This is not me. I am not supposed to be confused like this.
Which is why I need to think.
Eat so that I can think.
Adn write.
okay so... eat think write. eat think write. eat think write.....
I know you got this one!!..I do not want to see you fall...I will be on hyper alert for all causes of concern..know this done out of love for you...I believe in you, but really you are over thinking and just need to do...S always tells me dont figure out WHY the fire started just get your ASS out of there!!! I alway s have a habit of trying to figure out why I relasped...but really you dont need to knowm not yet anyway...you just need to how to stop it!!! You know!! So just DO IT...okay...for me...you have been my inspiration..you gave me my mantra...I know you have it in you...show me your guts girl...jump in both feet and swim...K, really its not worth it...whatever you may be feeling or NOT feeling by starving...its jsut not worth it...go reread my post...go reread your book...do whatever it takes...just dont go down the mental illness route...believe in yourself...WE ALL DO!!!
ReplyDeleteLove always, Tara
THANK YOU TARA!
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU!
I WANT TO JUMP IN AND SWIM LIKE YOU SAY. I'M FEELING FIRED UP NOW.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING ME AND ENDLESSLY BEIEVING IN ME!
THANK YOU!