Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Breakfast Blessing

Today's blessing at breakfast was: I have faith that wherever I'm going is important and wonderful.

Isn't that nice?

Doesn't that relax you and make you smile?

I used to overthink everytime before I ate.
Was I hungry enough to eat?
Should I eat?
Would I feel worse without eating?

Lately - including today...
I just eat breakfast
because that's what you do in the mornings.

And afterwards...
you feel...
food in you
full - of course - b/c you just put food and coffee and water all into you
but you didn't gain weight from that
that's not a scary or threatening feeling
that's just an unavoidable part of eating
some people even like that feeling
and i know it goes away
and i know you get used to it
and sometimes I feel like I am used to it - at least getting there.
anyway
the feeling
it doesn't go away by freaking out and not eating the next meal
b/c then you just become hypersensitive to everything in you
it goes away by putting your attention on something else
by continuing on with your day
by continuing to eat and drink and talk and play and work

and so,
breakfast tasted good
and i felt it in me afterwards
of course
and that's acceptable
and now
i sit here
next to Nicole
she's cutting recipes out of a magazine
i'm writing an essay (well, blogging....ha...)
we're outside
at the table
i have a refill of coffee and water
i am purposely not putting attention on my body
because what's the point in that?
i don't want to go there

and so

so

i let myself think a/b what matters

i put my mental energy on what will make me feel good
and productive
and instead of focusing on what will make me be self-critical
i'm thinking a/b how good the wind feels on me
and how good the sun feels on me
and how lucky i am to have this moment
where i'm healthy
and my friend is near me
and i am soaking myself in this feeling
b/c seeking out ways to feel good and then soaking in that good feeling
that's allowed
and so let's do that
shall we?

ps: breakfast was
3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese + low-fat yogurt mixed
1/2 cup (the rule is 150 cal worth) of cereal
1 banana

6 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts on fullness after eating. I am slowly getting better with remembering that it does pass and you are supposed to feel full. I love the blessing! It sounds like you and Nicole are having a relaxing morning. Keep seeking and soaking in the good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on keeping on. I don't know you --- but I am so proud of you. Keep fighting the good fight and living the good life -- You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post was without a doubt the most calming blog post i've ever read, not just yours but anybody's. i feel like i just meditated. hm. thank you is not enough.
    lucie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful!
    I hope you re-read it often (0:

    It is nice to read something that I can relate to...ie. the feeling of food in you, etc...and the way you handled this is quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete