Saturday, May 22, 2010

SETTING INTENTIONS FOR EATING

I already wrote about DAy 12... but I forgot to add this:
  • setting a realistic intention for eating is an awesome tool to support normal eating! It wasn't until today at the program that I realized that my intention for eating is always "don't get full." this makes no sense. Of course I'll feel food in me after I eat! So, setting the intention "to notice the flavors and enjoy the conversation" is a way better intention. After I have eaten today, my first reaction is to feel bad b/c I feel food in me. But quickly I go back to my intentions: Did I notice the flavors? Yes. Did I enjoy the conversation? Yes. Oh, well then, good job and nothing to worry about! This happened to me at dinner tonight. Dinner was grilled halibut on top of lentils. Delish.

4 comments:

  1. This is really something seriously important. I know your onto something here. I have used this technique too and it works. I would have such problems with the sensation of fullness and trouble with nausea so i started to force myself not to think about anything except tv or conversation and along the way i found myself enjoying the food. The only time i have trouble while doing this is if my mind suddenly gets triggered by the fullness, then my appetite goes away etc, so i need to apply this technique again.

    Thank you for your openness and courageousness. You are amazing and im so proud of you. I always read i dont always comment, but im here with you in a way.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. D, Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing that this technique has worked for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a succinct and yet profound realisation. I may have to adopt this one myself ;)

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really glad to hear this from you. That is awesome. I've had a huge shift today in my eating issues too. Thanks for your comment. I ended up posting my new found insight into my food issues just after you commented. It's good we have both had a big shift.
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete