skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Program Day 3
- 100% Day: Breakfast - check; morning snack - check; lunch - check; afternoon snack - check; dinner - 50%. But I don't think I'm getting in trouble for dinner because no one checked my plate afterwards or made a comment or anything. Plus, dinner tonight was at a restaurant, so I'm not even sure the 100% rule applies. the 100% thing was super hard, but I told myself "Try it for a week or two and see." And I told myself "All these other people are doing it and they are not fat." And I said "You never know when insurance will drop you; get as much as you can out of this program while you're here. Don't waste your time. You don't want to look back and wish you had started trusting the portions earlier." But, eating the food taught me a lot. It taught me that I freak out about fullness... but it also taught me that fullness doesn't stick around forever.... it also taught me that maybe I'm just used to being more empty than what is normal. Maybe my neutral is actually too empty. Maybe normal people walk around with a higher level of satiety than me all day. I also learned that, actually, my body uses the food and, while I wasn't hungry for the snacks, I did get hungry for the next meal. I also learned that, at times when the staff said "nope, eat more," and I feared I'd be STUFFED... I wasn't actually stuffed.... so I mis-calculated how full I'd be. PS: when the staff mean 100%, they mean 100%. I did everything except lick my plate. I tried to get up TWICE today when they told me to sit my batootie back down b/c I wasn't done. The first time there were some cheese crumbles left. The second time there was some yogurt left... but I'm talking like.... hardly anything. And I still had to eat it. And the question came up "But why?! normal people would be allowed to eat this?!" And my thought was "What if you find out that your body really can handle all this food... you might as well try it and find out...."
- Lots of times, I find myself wondering "But WHY do I have to eat all of this if I'm not hungry? WHY do I eat cereal and fruit with yogurt and lasagna and salad and trail mix and a teriyaki chicken wrap and sweet potato chips? WHY? WHY are they so sure I need all of this? Are they SURE my body can handle that? Are they SURE normal people eat like that? Are they SURE that they don't just make us do this simply because we're ED patients? DO THEY REMEMBER THAT I'M NOT EXERCISING?! DO THEY REMEMBER THAT?! To answer these questions I have in my head, I've been asking the staff. Like, today, after afternoon snack, I asked the staff person sitting next to me, "REALLY? REALLY - ACTUALLY do normal people eat all of this? I mean, I can't imagine someone eating lasagna for lunch AFTER they had cereal + a snack for breakfast. And I REALLY can't imagine someone eating dinner AFTER they had lasagna for lunch. So I ask.... "Are you serious? Are you serious that people eat all of this? Normal people?" And the staff says yes. And here's the thing - the staff are NOT AT ALL overweight... and, yet, they eat all of that. See, I could say "Jane and Tracy don't eat" if I wanted to... because I never see them eat. But these staff members... I see them eat. I could tell you everything they ate all day long. And all these girls on maintain plans eat all of this too... and they are not fat AT ALL. So... okay, proof. Another thing: If I can train my body to be able to handle all of this food... WHY NOT GO FOR IT!? Heck! If I'm operating on a 1200 cal/day metabolism or less due to metabolic damage (which could be the case... I don't know...)... that's selling myself short! What if I could eat in a way that allows me to operate at an 1800 cal/day metabolism or something like that. I don't want to be selling myself short! I want to be able to eat more and KNOW that my body can handle it. So, I guess I better train it to do so. Plus, I'll just never find out if my body can handle ALL OF THIS unless if I try it (for more than just a single day). And... the other thing... the question of: Do Normal people REALLY TRULY sit down for a snack after having LASAGNA AND A SALAD FOR LUNCH!!!!!????!!!??? WEll... maybe the answer is no. They might not sit down.... but you know what they might do? They might stroll past the snack drawer, pull it open, grab a few crackers and a small handful of almonds, and eat as they go on about their day. They might eat in a much less formal way. I could imagine that being the case.
- Today I'm actually surprised at how my body WAS ACTUALLY getting hungry again before the next meal. I was hungry before dinner and before lunch. I was not hungry before AM or afternoon snack though. It'll be interesting to learn what my body actually can and can't handle
- I had a phone session with Jane today. She's thrilled with the program and all the opportunity I have to get stuff out of it. But one thing she really wants me to bring up with the staff there (and she said she'd call them too) is that I seriously have no idea why I'm there. I mean, I don't feel like I have a reason to be there. I really don't. I don't even feel eating disordered. And, you'd think that, in group therapy, people would talk and I'd totally relate and then I'd understand why I'm there.... but that doesn't happen. I do relate... in the past. I remember. I don't relate in the present. I feel very disconnected... and I can't figure out a reason why I'm there. And the other girls ask me "Do you mind me asking what it is you struggle with?" The answer they're looking for is "restriction" or "bingeing" or "purgeing" or "overexercise" or "bulimia" or "anorexia." But I have no idea what to tell them! I've been asked this question over and over again and I have NO CLUE what to tell them. So my answer is always, "No, I don't mind you asking, but I really have no idea what to tell you." Jane says that my answer is "restriction" and "overexercising." But that doesn't even quite make sense to me. And I just feel like I don't make sense. The only time I've felt like I made sense was when I told my whole store, start to present to Dr. E. I jsut have such a disjointed story in my head... I think it's just weird b/c I was at my worst before ever talking to Jane or Tracy... so I sometimes feel like they don't even think I have an ED. And maybe I don't. And Tracy has never seen my weight at it's lowest... b/c in the 6 months before talking to her, I gained 20 pounds. So I think that part of this "what is my problem" question is due to the fact that the 3 - 4 years of my ED pre-Tracy, pre-Jane have not really been told to anyone. So, anyway, lots of times I feel like I shouldn't be at the program because I don't really know why I'm there. I really don't. And I can't ask the staff because they don't know me either. And, often, I feel like the staff doesn't think I should be there either. And I think the other girls are confused by me too. They're like "but, wait, she doesn't really binge... she doesn't really purge.... but she weighs what she weighs so she's not anorexic.... she must not restrict..... she says comments in group that we all find helpful... she seems to be able to give us all good advice... so.... what? why is she here?"
- This week I talked to Jane and tomorrow I'll see Tracy, but I don't know if I'll be continuing with them after this week because, since I now have no income, etc., and insurance will not pay for them while I'm in the program (and insurance wasn't paying for Tracy in the first place), my parents have to decide if I should still talk to Jane and Tracy. Yes, I want to talk to them. But it's not really my call and I totally understand why my parents would be confused... like, if you're in this 8hr a day, 6 day a week thing then why do you need Jane and Tracy, you know? I have to admit though, the thought of not having them makes me feel sad and alone. Losing them and I feel like I lose the only people who understand me and know me better than I konw myself. If I lose them, I guess I just fear that no one else will care. Then again, maybe I don't need anyone to care. Clearly I'm confused.
- I am a big fan of group therapy. I spoke in it again a few times. I haven't shared anything or "processed" anything... but I've offered support and given advice based off what I've noticed or what has worked for me and I've offered insight into how I see the other person thinking and questioned them further. Reasons I like group therapy: 1) We all get to play therapist 2) I get to see the therapists interact with other patients and not just me; 3) It reminds me of what I already know; Also, group therapy sometimes makes me a bit sad b/c I look around and see all these amazing women and I think "HOW CAN THEY NOT SEE HOW BEAUTIFUL THEY ARE?! HOW CAN THEY THINK THEY HAVE TO BE PERFECT! WHY DON'T THEY SEE THEY'RE PERFECT JUST AS THEY ARE!" And it saddens me to see the way some people experience life. But I'm also super optimistic b/c I ahve total faith that they all will get better. I just wish I could give them a crystal ball and let them, too, see themselves in the future, recovered (and not fat as a result), and realize it'll all work out.
- Today we drew "Angel Cards." They're just cards to set intentions for the week. Mine was "Angel of Group Consciousness."
- Back to this again but... I feel stupid for beign in the program. I feel like I should be out, living my life. I don't really need to be in the program. I'm just being lazy by taking a break from life. I FEEL like a baby... because I do get a lot out of it, but I'm not so sure I really need to be there... so I feel like I'm just like using treatment as a vacation from life when I don't need one. Maybe treatment is just an excuse. I don't know. But I do really wonder why I'm there...
- One great thing about being in a program is that you are occupied after you eat. Today, after I ate the lasagna for lunch, I was seriously experiencing a freaking internal hurricane. I was thinking "HOW IN THE HELL AM I GOING TO EAT A SNACK IN 2.5 HOURS!!!! IF THIS WERE REAL LIFE, I WOULDN'T BE EATING FOR THE REST OF THE DAY!" If I had been left to my own devices, I would have been preoccupied by this all day. I would have avoided food. I would ahve been disconnected from others b/c I'd have too much attention on my stomach - just watiing for the fullness to go away... waiting to feel empty again. But you can't do this in a program! It's simply not allowed! You must eat the next snack/meal. No ifs/ands/ or buts. But, in a program, I don't go all crazy inside. I do for a brief moment... but then we're onto the next activity. Suddenly we're taking a short group walk... then we're in "food and feelings" group and "body and spirit" group and "primary group," and, before I know it... "oh, I'm not full anymore."
- Something else that is great about the program is that it quiets my mind. Instead of always wondeirng "what should I do about tomorrrow... should I eat? Or not? What should I do about the next meal? Should I skip it?" It takes all that thinking away because you simply know that you will eat. And that could be a freaky thing... but it's also a really relieving thing too. I can't really imagine eating breakfast tomorrow, but I will eat morning snack and lunch and afternoon snack and dinner. Of course I'm wondeirng how this will be possible... (how do people really eat all of that?! but they do! it turns out they do!) ... but I know that I'll be in a rhythm of eating. I know it. And there's just something safe about that. A safe, nice feeling.
I am so proud of you girl <3
ReplyDeleteSarah x
Hey Laura,
ReplyDeleteI'm getting heaps out of reading about your experiences in the program, thankyou SOOO much for sharing them.
I was thinking... well firstly you DO need to be in the program because those outside of the eating disorder recognise that you do have one and that this is the best option for you at this time to get things under control and stable and give you a chance at FULL recovery.
BUt I was also thinking... you know, I often have those feelings around thinking I'm just being lazy or avoiding what I should be doing yadda yadda... but this is what I think in your situation, maybe it doesn't matter as much why you're there as long as you're getting lots out of it? You ARE getting a lot out of it and you're in a supportive environment that can assist you in attaining your goals and trialling new things with a good safety net around you... so maybe the "why" doesn't matter so much right now?
See, I can pinpoint easily that you restrict that you struggle with body image type issues and with exercising... all from the last two posts (even though obviously I've been reading a lot more). Like if you didn't have a problem with food, and the food intake was more than your normal intake, then you might think to yourself, "Wow, they eat more than I'm used to, oh well, how nice will it be to enjoy it all!" but rather, the eating disorder still likes to freak you out... so if you're not able to eat what a normal person can do, if you're not able to maintain without restricting (solids and fluids), if you're not able to eat without making it up in exercise... then those are pretty good reasons why you're there. But... I think the eating disorder would sit and try to argue with me. So... maybe instead of arguing, focus on the fact that you're getting lots out of it and that's a really good thing! Face the next hurdle when you get there :)
xoxo
Thanks, Sarah! The comments you leave mean a lot.
ReplyDeleteI just read this and have like 101 things to say, but it's 1am and I have to be to work at 5am so I'm thinking I'll save the commenting for tomorrow. Just one thing though...
ReplyDelete"If I had been left to my own devices, I would have been preoccupied by this all day. I would have avoided food. I would ahve been disconnected from others b/c I'd have too much attention on my stomach - just watiing for the fullness to go away"
THAT is why you're in a program (among other reasons I'm sure). Apparently those thoughts aren't "normal"! And you deserve a life that is filled with more than thoughts of food, fullness, guilt, etc.
I'm so impressed by your willingness to work. You have such a great attitude.
Oh f it...I won't be able to sleep anyway, I might as well comment! I wish I could comment with bullet points. Since I can't you'll have to use your imagination!
ReplyDeleteI have been amazed by the wonders of metabolism. When I was at CFC I felt like I was eating NONSTOP. But you know what, my body got used to it. I thought there is NO WAY my body will ever stop gaining weight with this much food. But amazingly enough...it did. I ate 6 meals (and not small meals) and my weight stayed exactly the same from the time I got off weight gain until the time I discharged a few months later (I never saw my weight so I'm trusting my dietitian wasn't lying!)
The other crazy thing is, when you start eating more your metabolism kicks in and burns more, and I found myself actually getting hungry before meals and even sometimes snacks. You've probably heard this analogy, but the metabolism is like a furnace - the more fuel you throw on the fire the more it burns.
I really wish now that I would have stuck to everything I learned at CFC, and other places. Every time I'm in treatment my body gets stabilized and used to eating x amount and working well, and then I leave and think I know better and screw it all up. Let me just say...the dietitians know what they're talking about!
I have to laugh at the 100% rule. Not really the eating 100%, but the "what is considered 100%" part. I do think that THAT is only for eating disordered people. I'm having flashbacks of literally having to drink salad dressing because it sunk to the bottom of the bowl and it wasn't considered 100% if it wasn't all gone...or being boosted an ounce of boost because after I left the table a crumb was found in my chair (no, I'm not exagerating, and no, it wasn't on purpose!). I found those rules a little rediculous, but at the same time, I get where they're coming from. There are people who will try to take advantage, and leave absolutely every crumb possible. I guess the best way to draw the line is to not allow it at all...and if they start allowing some people to leave crumbs and not others that's playing favoratism, and there's just no winning so I guess it's better when it's cut and dry. It does make for some funny stories though! And...something to look forward to when getting to eat intuitively is not licking your plate!!!
Okay, last thing - You DESERVE treatment. You deserve more in life than an eating disorder. You're not being silly, or lazy or whatever. Think of it as a way to become MORE productive in the future when you can pay more attention to your work because you're not preoccupied with food, or too malnourished to think. It's kind of like going to school in a way. If you look at the long tem benefits, really you're increasing your chance of being an extremely productive member of society for a much longer time.
Okay...I think that's enough from me for one night!
Laura, you doing so awesome right now. I know that it's not always easy doing something especially when you're not sure why you're there. That I can imagine would be very confusing. I guess you just have to make sure you express how you're feeling and let people know you are feeling disconnected. Thanks so much for your comments too on my blog. I really appreciate them and glad you liked my self-soothe posts. I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy a lavender candle, because I think I need to self-soothe more. I think all of us need that. It would prevent a lot of yucky feelings if that worked at least 3/4 of the time. I certainly am not giving up and I'm so glad you aren't either. Keep going and just be you and be kind to yourself. You too deserve all the happiness in the world!
ReplyDelete*hugs*
Sarah
I am soooooo PROUD of you!!!
ReplyDeleteI remember last summer when you were in pretty much a full blown relapse and you were in such denial about it, but LOOK, LOOK at YOU now. You may be unsure as to why you are there but you are not letting that stop you!! You are there, working the program, doing everything you need/should be doing and you are becoming STRONGER EVERYDAY. I see it, I know I dont comment much...its a long story, but I am reading, and I think you are doing so amazing. I must just say Laura you do have an Eating Disorder, but YOU WILL RECOVER!! I know it, I can feel it, You will be able to live the life that you want/dream of. This is so amazing!! To watch this process, to see you doing things you are scared of, but doing it anyway because you know its right.(Ed may not, but LAURA does!!) I am so proud of you, I am smiling ear to ear right now!! So if you had/have any doubt that you should be right where you are right now, I am here to tell you...have no fear you are right where you need to be RIGHT now!!! You got this Laura, one day you will be fully recovered and you will look back and say,"geez, I had an Eating Disorder, it WAS a part of who I was and now its just something that taught me how strong I am, how couragous I am, and how much I can overcome!!!" I cant stress enough how proud I am of you!! You my dear girl are a true inspiration!!!
Much love, Tara
It really sounds like you are getting a lot out of the program. I only felt like i was a "clear" case of disorder at certain times of my life but if i look back as a whole I realize my mindset was disordered whether i was always acting on it or not. using food, or lack of food as a coping mechanism for life is disordered - this was what i realized about myself through therapy. the fact is i wasnt happy with my body and i was in severe control or lack of control at times. i was miserable.
ReplyDeletei say this just to say that if you are getting ANYTHING out of this it is worth it for you. just learning what your body can handle is worth it.
take care xoxo
You guys are all so amazing. You have no idea how much I benefit from your comments. I'll respond back to the comments later tonight... but, for now, know that I hugely thank you!
ReplyDeleteIt is NOT stupid to be in the program, it is the smartest and wisest thing you could possibly be devoting your time to. Truly, Laura, the ED will never let you function as well and enjoy life as much as you truly can and truly deserve. Taking a bit of time off to get back on track will pay off with huge dividends in the end.
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome!
Keep up the good work, my ED part often tries to whisper I dont really have ED, now that I am better at distingushing that voice I can test the validity of its statements so it doesnt send me back into denial. Just the fact tahat like you I have thoughts like "should i eat tomorrow?, I wont eat breakfast or lunch so i can eat a big meal in front of husband tonight etc.." are ED flags Now that i realize how detrimental the urging of that ED voice is I just do the opposite of what it whispers. If it says "ooh you feel hungry / empty what a nice feeling, lets not eat so we can keep that feeling" I turn around, give ED the middle finger and go make myself a sandwich. It takes work, sometimes more than others, but its getting a little bit easier.
ReplyDeleteLike you said, work on getting the most out of this opportunity, grow and evolve as much as possible. There will be a day when you are out and you will have a wonderful arsenal of skills and resources learned while at program.
Even though I know I would feel out of place to0, sometimes I secretly wish I could go to an IP program just to have someone else do all the thinking for me. It takes alot of mental energy to follow a meal plan, yet not get to "stuck" (read obsesive) in my meal plan. Right now though I have two beautiful babies to take care of so they are kind of like my program and staff in that they are my encouragement and motivation to be the healthiest person I can be.
Good luck, keep us posted!
Telstaar, thank you for sharing with me what you see to be the answer the the question "Why are you here?" It really does help hearing it from other people. But you also make a good point - that I need to keep reminding myself of - if I am getting stuff out of it, then that's reason enough to go. I just end up feeling like I'm taking advantage of the program by going.. like even though I'm getting stuff out of it... so would everyone in the world, so I'm not the best use of their time... I guess I'm there and that's not going to change so I might as well just try to quiet hte part of my mind that is questioning it, be glad I'm benefiting, and move on.
ReplyDeleteAmber, I REALLY REALLY value you telling me your experience with your weight staying the same, even when you continued to eat your "maintain" meal plan meals. Seriously. It's really hard to trust that my body can adapt to all of this food, and you sharing your experience has made it easier for me to trust that. Also, thank you for telling me I deserve treatment. I really do struggle with believing that... but hearing it sure does help.
Sairs, I totally thought of you today in treatment because we had an entire session on self-soothing. We were given a list of self soothing activities. And we ended up talking about activies that bring us pleasure too!
Tara, thank you SO MUCH for your comment. You make me feel so believed in and you have no idea how much that helps. Thank you so, so much!
Suzie, yeah, I think one of the main things I'm getting out of it is learning what my body can handle to maintain its weight. And that sure is a valuable thing to know. Maybe I just feel like, since that's the main thing I'm getting out of it (learning how to eat enough, regularly, and trust my body to handle the food)... like that's just a tiny little thing and other people need to do more important things - like learn to love themselves or quiet their minds or bingeing/purging... and those people have more important goals, so I feel the need to step aside or something. I guess I just have to challenge these thoughts a lot...
I really, really find reading all this very interesting [from the content of the post down to the comments!].
ReplyDeleteProcessing.