You know those days where going to bed is easy? Easy because your body is worn out? Easy because you feel like you've exhausted yourself? I love that exhausted feeling at the end of the day, and I have it today.
Today was lots of fun becuase it was so active. (I'm still avoiding doing all the things that are deep down stressing me out though. These will actually have to be dealt with at some point but I don't even want to write about them because I'll hyperventilate or something).
I woke up starving and ate the breakfast I wanted (oatmeal with a spoonful of hot cocoa mix in it - yum), but was still hungry afterwards.
rode my bike to yoga, did yoga, was still so hungry during yoga. The teacher was really nice and helped me learn the nuances of the various poses. I got to do a headstand during yoga too!
Immediatley after yoga, I rode my bike to a deli to get lunch because I was so hungry. I decided I'd let myself order exactly what I wanted (not what was on my most minimal meal plan, not what was surely lighter.... I decided to order based on taste). I knew that what I was ordering was huge but I decided I'd just eat until I was full and then stop. So, I ordered the "California Sandwich." (sandwich on 2 slices WW, 4 or 5 slices turkey, 1 slice regular full-fat Monterrey Jack Cheese, plenty of avocado) - Tracy (nutritionist) will be very pleased. It was exactly what I wanted and I enjoyed it.... It was hard to eat slowly because I was so hungry. I ended up eating the whole thing and I think that was the right choice because, after I was finished, I was not anywhere close to uncomfortably full. I just felt a sense of relief to not be hungry anymore. And yet I didn't feel grossly full. I love moments like that. And, this type of moment is only possible without calorie counting. Gosh, don't let me ever go back to that system again.
About an hour and a half later, I rode my bike to physical therapy. Man, I got my BUTT kicked in physical therapy for 2 or 2.5 hours! I sweat more in that place than any other place on the planet - and more today than ever before. I was like, "How are my forearms sweating? How is sweat rolling down my forearms? How are my finger tips sweating?" It felt great though. My leg is feeling good too. This whole week I have had no pain while walking, walking while carrying things, using steps - nada. I even did a run/walk to the bike store in order to get there on time the other day and it didn't hurt when I ran (I only ran across the crossroads), so I knew things were going well.
Normally, when they go to "massage" me, it's pretty uncomfy. Today, there was zero pain. There basically werne't any knots in my hamstring, IT-band, calf, nor were there any in this tendon thing that starts with a "p" (I forget what it's called)
The PT started having me do running drills last week and today. Basically - you don't run, but you practice moving your leg in the right motion without actually bearing much weigh ont it. So, I did running drills today again but then I actually got to run a little teeny weensy bit. IT didn't hurt and supposedly I had good form. I have been given permission to run 2 miles (one time a week) and have been told to stop immediately if it starts to hurt. I will follow orders.
After PT, I rode my bike back home, quickly showered, changed, and headed to the fro yo shop where we were so busy that I couldn't eat dinner. None of the meal dealying is intentional, it's just poor plannign on my part. I ate something after my shift though. I know that Tracy will tell me I need ot be more vigilant about meals on days that I work at the fro yo store. I know, she's right.
Anyway - my body is beat and tired now. It felt this way even at the fro yo store. I wasn't as bubbly/outgoing/friendly as I normally am to the customers. There was this one customer who was such a jackass - just so mean - really, just MEAN. He was trying to joke (I think) but he was joking with insults. He was with these 3 college girls and he just belittled them comment after comment as they giggled along. I was so revolted watching him belittle everyone in sight that I had to say something.
Maybe because I was really hungry at this point (and therefore more irritable). Maybe because I was really sleepy and jsut wanted to lie down.... but I confronted him. Here:
Monday is $1 day. You get your fro yo/ice cream for $1. As you can imagine, it's packed on Mondays. But we do have a rule. You don't get your punch card punched (like a stamp card... once you get 10 stamps you get a free fro yo...in stead of stamps, we do hole punches.... one of those) on Mondays.
So, Awful Customer Man (ACM) shoves the punch card in my face and goes, "I'm waiting woman!" I am so annoyed at him that I just finish at the cash register and then, without making any smile, I say, "Sorry, on Mondays we don't give out punches unless you order something like a milkshake or a waffle cone which is more than $1." And ACM goes, "Well I want to talk to your manager becuase that's a shitty a** rule." I completely ignore him. Inside, I am hating him. I already hate him for some of the things he's saying to these girls he's with. Then, a girl he's with orders a flavor and, right before I serve her, switches her flavor choice. This is no big deal at all. But ACM's like "Are you sure? Are you sure? Because this is a big decision! Are you sure about that flavor?" And he's giving her this really obnoxious, condescending, I-think-I'm-awesome look. So I hand her her frozen yogurt. She takes a bite and ACM grabs her forearm and wiggles it so that she gets fro yo on her face. She has to be embarrased but she just starts laughing. Meanwhile, ACM says, "Who's the loser? Whoe's the loser?" And the girl plays right into it. "I am," she says. Then ACM goes back to his whole "I want you to call the manager so I can have a punch on my punchcard." He's shoving his punchcard in my face going "Just come one. This is shit. Just give me a punch. You can just tell your boss that she lost me as a customer."
I was so annoyed at this guy by now that I decided I'd just tell him that he's mean.
So I take his punch card out of his hand and go, "You are mean! You're probably not really, deep down mean, but you are so mean right now. You're being mean to these two ladies. You're mean to me. And you don't look awesome doing it. You just look really mean. If you honestly want attention, be nice to these women. If you honestly want your card punched, don't shove it in my face and talk respectfully. You know - politely. And when you're finished talking, look the person in the eyes. Don't look aroudn the room to see who thinks you're awesome. So grow up and stop being mean. It's not cool...... and I'll take your punch card. you can have it back if you come back and speak kindly."
He had no idea how to respond and just left with nothing more than a "psh" type of laugh.
Anwyay - I did take care of some important chores this afternoon. That feels good.
Maybe tomorrow I'll deal with things I don't want to deal with... I need to do this. Lately, I sometiems feel like I might faint or stop breathing when I think about certain things.... and no matter how much I ride my bike, that feeling is still there. i can't push it away anymore. I want to talk to J actually. I need to deal. Sorry for the ambiguity.
My dad sent this to me today:
The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith
People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.
My dad also told me that when I was little I wanted to be a Professional Compliment Giver when I grew up. I wish I could be that! How do you pay rent and be that!?
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi nowisnow, I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying your blog. I like your writing because it seems very "real" - as in, you're not trying to project any particular kind of image or persona, but just talking to a friend. I read a bunch of ED blogs and usually don't comment but I wanted to say hi because I'm in such a similar position to you right now. I've struggled with ED for several years (but things are SO much better, actually really good right now). I love running (just got back from running actually, I'm stretching out now and enjoying that relaxed endorphin-y feeling), used to do gymnastics and love all things involving climbing, graduated from college in '07 and just finished two years teaching high school full time and doing Masters coursework. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should go back to my school next year (and time is running out - yikes!). On the one hand, I'm not sure what else I would do and where I would live (couldn't afford to live in the city w/o my teaching salary). On the other hand, while I definitely liked a lot of things about the job, thinking about going back to some aspects of it literally makes me feel sick to my stomach. Since school has been out, I've been so relaxed and content, my nails have grown out for the first time in years instead of being bit to stubs because I'm so chronically stressed out during the school year. Also, I know that I don't want to teach high school forever and I kind of want time to think about future plans and work on some other projects that I care about, and I would definitely not have that time during the school year. Anyway, I know you mentioned you were struggling with the same decision so good luck to you! If you want to "talk" about it or just say hi, my email is bluecatr2w@aol.com.
ReplyDelete--Rebecca
Hey- girl you have GUTS! I would have never had the guts to stand up to Mr. Jerkface. I love the way you put it- hahaha... you sound adorable and feisty at the same time! But, it also sounds like it was a really stressful event overall, but in the end, it was probably satisfying and I'm sure he was a bit humbled by the experience and maybe learned a lesson for next time. I wonder if he'll come back?
ReplyDeleteWow, bluecatr2q, are we the same person? I graduated college in '07 too, love running, used to do gymnastics, have also taught for 2 years, most stressful/hardest 2 years of my life, know for sure I don't want to teach forever... I'm in the same place as you and I dont know what to do. Going back to teaching is the most practical thing to do (especially if I assume it's my last year), but I am also so much more content this summer than I ever have been (and my eating is better, and my eyelashes have grown back - they got super thin due to eating issues/stress, and my hair got thicker, and I sleep more soundly) and I just don't want to "lose myself to teaching" again. I don't want the chronic stress, the chronic feeling of failure.... oh man. I might e-mail you...
ReplyDeleteJena, yeah I don't normally confront people like that. But I think having been a teacher gives me this feeling that I can confront anyone about their behavior lol! I have this strange urge to correct little kids' behaviors even when they're with their parents! I didn't yell at him though, I just told him calmly that he's mean. Hopefully he did learn his lesson but I have a feeling it's a lesson he'll have to learn multiple more times...
Hey- great job standing up to that turd! Amen, sistah!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your leg is starting to get better. That's awesome!
I'd be happy to hear from you :) - i think I may have come to a decision just this evening actually (we'll see if I still feel the same way in the morning). I don't want to say what it is without explaining how I came to it, and I don't have to the space to do that here... but like I said, I'll have to wait and see if the decision "sticks."
ReplyDelete