Monday, April 5, 2010

update from last post

Update inspired from Sarah's and D's comments:

I guess, if I'm being honest (and what a better place to be honest than on a blog, right?).....

I do want the help.
I do want a little recovery boot camp boost.
I am scared and nervous about it.
But those fears (weight gain... becoming fat... becoming "my set point" which might be fat, you never know.....) are irrational.
I know that the part of me that is resisting, the part of me that is minimizing... that part of me is not rational.

What I really want is to have more support.
But I don't want to choose it. I can't get myself to say out loud, "I want more support."
But that is what I want.
I don't want to tell my parents that its what I want.
I want them to tell me its what they want me to do.

I do not think I am in a bad place physically.
I know I'm not, in fact.
But I do know that if I keep going like this, I could be.
Also, I know that if I keep going like this, eventually it'll trigger bingeing and then I'll end up overweight.

I also know it's not about weight.
It's a/b the fact that I've been eating too little, and it's not getting better.

I wonder why I won't just do it?
Why won't I just do it by myself?
I get SO ANGRY with myself about that.

I guess I do want help.
I just don't know how to say it.
So I say it by screaming and crying to my parents on the phone (um, tonight...)

I don't want my mom to come up...
not just because I don't want her to make me eat (which is true)
not just beceause I don't want to feel watched (which is true)
but also becasue I'm afraid my parents think the whole thing will be solved by them moving in with me for a few days.

And I want them to GET IT more than that.
I want them to UNDERSTAND brains of ED people.
I want them to think this is a problem.
I want them to realize I haven't utterly failed... but I do need a big push.


I have fears about going to the program, and I'm just gonna be honest a/b them right now - no matter how horrible they sound.
I don't want to gain weight by the time Willow comes to visit at the end of April.
I don't want to gain weight by the time I go to a wedding in July and another in August.
So, let me just stay this exact weight until July and August
(And yes, I do hear the insanity in my voice).

I talked to my parents tonight - TOUGH conversation. It was basically 40 min of me sobbing and screaming at them, and a 20 min more rationale conversation. I don't know why I was so upset with them. It's like, they talked to Jane tonight... and I guess I'm mad because I feel like NOTHING happened as a result of the conversation. Like, my parents are all just like, "Honey you should tell us." and "Honey we love you." and "Honey it'll be okay and we'll work through this," And they always use the pronoune WE. and I want to be like "WE" will work through this?! No, this isn't you doing anything... this is just me and.... And, also, I hate how they just play it off as if love will cure all. I have to stop typing, it's making me PISSED OFF. But I know they love me and they just don't know what to do.

I guess I just wish they 1) Understand that my habits are bad right now and 2) Understood EDs a bit more.

I want my parents to GET IT.
I told them that.
I told them I appreciated them caring, but that I just wish they understood the way Jane does.
That probably hurt their feelings.
I told them I wish they just KNEW STUFF.
Like, I wish instead of responding by saddling up on their horse and moving in with me...
I wish they'd instead treat Jane like the professional she is and listen to her.
Instead, Jane told them she thought we should have a family meeting and they told me, "What's the point of that?"
I wish they would learn from Jane.
I wish they would learn from other sources.
I told them this tonight, and they said they'd learn.
They asked me what it's like to be eating disordered.
I told them I just like being hungry.
I told them that, when I'm hungry, I want to stay hungry.
They said, "Funny because, for us, when we're hungry for too long, we panic and want food badly."
They asked me what I liked about being hungry.
I told them it just felt... better... in control....better.
My dad says, "Sounds like the way you feel when you exercise a lot too."
Maybe?
I dunno about that.

So, here's the bottom line:
I know this is not going in a good direction.
I know it's bigger than me and some additional support would be good.
I do want it.
I am not underweight (I'M ACTUALLY NOT).
I am not medically unstable.
But it's going nowhere good.
And I don't wnat to be like this.
I want to be one of those people who eats when they're hungry and stops when they're full.
I want to be a person who doesn't get tied down or held back by food.
oh, sad.
But I do.
And I can be.
But right now it would be helpful to have some additional support.

And I know that.
I just can't say it anywhere but here, on this blog.
I could agree to it if tracy, jane, and my parents all wanted it.


So, I do want the help.
I would prefer IOP than parents moving in.
But i have to ask myself: Would living with parents be just as effective? Or not?
Seems like not
But I don't know....

Anyway, I do want the help, I just hate this "in between" stage of "you should get more help but we don't know what that help will look like, when it will come, where it will be, etc." I don't like this transition stage. I just want something to either happen (like I go to an iop thing) or I want everyone to forget that it's even a problem. But this in between thing is a killer.

So, I do want the additional support.
I just don't know how to say that out loud.

7 comments:

  1. It's good that you know when you need help. For me I found it more useful to recieve treatment from specialists, and I'm not sure my parents could have helped me. Even now they don't really 'get it'. I think it's important to be open and honest with them, since this is the only way they will eventually come to understand, but at the end of the day, where treatment is concerned, you have to think about what is best for you and what conditions would be most conducive to your recovery.

    Sorry I can't be more help...either way, you can and will recover, it's just a case of figuring out what feels like the best thing to do right now.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I'm a bit behind, so if I ask something you've already written about, I appologize. Do you have an IOP in your area? And if so, is it something you can check out and do an intake at so you could get more info to help you in your decision? I fully support the IOP idea (not that you need or want my support)...but I think the "in between" stage IS the hardest. And I think sometimes that's when you just have to take a leap of faith and do it, because if you think about it too much you will likely find reasons to talk yourself out of it.

    Also, when I finally made the decision to try treatment again a couple years ago I wanted someone to tell me I had to do it. I knew I needed it but I felt like I wasn't allowed to make that decision on my own. Like if my treatment team didn't tell me I HAD to maybe I didn't REALLY need it. Eventually I DID make the decision to do it on my own, and AFTER I made that decision my therapist & dietitian told me how much they had wanted to make me do it, but knew it had to be MY decision. And they were right. I'd imagine that your treatment team probably feels the same way.

    And as far as IOP vs. parents I would DEFINITELY suggest IOP. I know your parents probably mean well, but they likely won't totally get it (as you've mentioned). Plus there's the added emotion with parents and their feelings, and the possible resentment that could develop if things don't go as planned. Certainly if that's the only option I think it could be better than nothing, but I also think another outside perspective from addition treatment, like IOP or day patient could be very helpful. Just my two cents...take it for what it's worth.

    Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,

    I didnt read the other responses so I dont know if its already been said but, "just eating" with your parents isnt going to help you learn other copeing skills, its not going to help you learn some of the reasons why your Ed has developed, it will not help you feel less alone in your disease, it will not connect you with women/girls who can support you and your recovery when you are done with the program (yes I know you have very understanding friends, but it is not the same...its just not)...I have done the "maudsley" approach, thats where you give all your power to your parents or some other loved one and let them make all your decisions regaurding food and exercise...and while it may work for teenages (younger children) it really doesnt work if you have had an ED for a significant period of time or if you are able to get up and say screw you and drive away...its about giving up all power (which completely blows) to someone who after the "program" is over you have to try and go back and "live" with like nothing has happened. In programs there are consequences for your actions or refusals and its all done with loving people who are there to help you get well, arent afraid of making you mad or upsetting you, or worried that one day you may resent them for it. I strongly recommend a program...VERY STRONGLY!!! If your serious about getting better for good then you need a program. Im very worried about you laura, and from what you described to jane it does sound like you have some potassium issues which need to be checked out...(it can and does lead to heart failure)...I know Ive been there. Please laura choose a program...please! Much love and encouragement!

    ps

    I just went back and looked at picture of you from maybe 2-3 months ago to your current FB pic...and yes my darling you have lost quite a bit of weight! your ED is lying to you if you think your body hasnt changed...and no program isnt going to arbitrarily make you gain weight if you dont need to but they will get you to your "goal" wieght...scary yes but its where you think the best and I know how important it is to you to be able to think clearly...so laura, put your fears aside (I know easier said then done) Let T and J make the decision for you and just jump! with both feet into the program. I KNOW you have the ability and yes the will ( somewhere down inside) to get better!

    I will be thinkng about you and praying your rational brain takes over for just a little while...love you so much!!

    hope I didnt sound to "soap boxish" I have just run the gammit on programs and know what has worked for me and what has not...the mom taking over thing DIDNT work! but should you choose that way there is a book called "the secret language of eating disorders" by Peggy Claude Monet, she was the women who invented the Maudsley approach, which by the way worked for her daughters cause she caught the disease in the first six months of its onset and her daughters were like 13 and 15 respectivly...okay...long enough..

    good luck...much love...great strength

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    I think you do need to go IOP or IP. You have been struggeling too long now. Do I think you could live the way you have been? Yes. But I don't want you to survive. I don't want you to eak out a marginal existance where you are at war with yourself and hiding your actions from those that love you. I want you to excel and shine. I want you to have happiness and love and light in your life, not this half life you are living now. No more lies and hiding.

    Your parents are not going to get it. Sorry but it's true. They are going to love you and may try and understand. But they are never going to understand why a person that is starving to death and sitting in front of a plate of food can't just pick up a fork and eat. I would suggest giveing them the book "Life without ED". It's well written and they can learn some stuff.

    You need to know that they are going to love you. They are going to use we because you are a part of them. That's what having kids does. While you are your own unique person you are still that little baby that they held and loved and felt a bond with.

    You say your not sick. Blue hands, being cold all the time and having chest pains when your hungry are saying you are lying to yourself. You are doing massive damage to yourself right now! The outside might still look ok, for now, because it's destroying the inside. Your body is eating itself from the inside out to try and stay functional. Your body is trying to fight to keep you alive. Give it the help that it needs. Right now your not rational. You have your moments try and have one now and see that we are not going to think your a silly girl or a failure. Going and getting treatment for this makes you strong. It shows us that you want to live. It will allow us to have you in our lives for longer because if you continue you might not live. IF you do live you will not be the Laura that we have come to know and love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had some magic advice for you! I hope some day your parents do "get it", but if they don't, I hope you can find the support you need in whatever form is going to work for you.

    I was thinking, maybe this whole job situation is a blessing in disguise. Like, maybe if you are without work for a bit you could take some time to do IOP or get some more intensive therapy or something.

    Thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im really proud of you for taking this chance. OMG can i relate to wanting your parents to understand. My mom has anorexia too but she still refuses to understand or acknowledge the seriousness of my problem. I just wanted my parents to come and be the support they never were before.

    Someone told me recently that alot of the time when someone has an ed they dont recognize how willing their loved ones are to help them. But also its kind of hard to trust your loved ones to help you when your needing them to understand a crisis that you barely understand. I know they want to understand and have probably started trying to learn more.

    If not, I think maybe you should talk to jane about that. Maybe you should talk to jane about these feelings and how crucial it is that your parents put in a very concerted effort to learn more about ana and what parents and supporters of ED's need to know in order to be a safe support to someone like me or you.

    Really your parents being there is a wonderful thing, however I think to maximize the chances of them being the best support for you. Perhaps if they learned about

    this lady and read one of her books?

    http://eatingwithyouranorexic.blogspot.com/

    I just think that your parents need to learn more about what your going through because otherwise how could they understand? Even as badly as you want them to, and as Im sure they want to....

    For those who have never experienced anorexia or any eating disorder first hand it is very difficult to understand sometimes.

    Hell even for me someone who has anorexia for 15 years now i still learn new things all the time that help me understand the intricacies of my disorder.

    I ask you for your own sake not to be so hard on yourself. You have enough on your plate without feeling guilty for being a human being in pain. You need sympathy and compassion even from yourself especially now.

    Ill email you soon, and will always be watching and listening.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had advice for you but, as you know, I am going through something similar right now...it's hard to give advice when in a similar position in life.
    However, I do like the idea of family meeting. It will be nice for you to see that your parents can hear from a professional how you are feeling and what you may need to get better with you present. That way, you can also say things to your parents, with the safety of a therapist present.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete