Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Food and Thinking

TONIGHT.... (read last post for context)

BEFORE EATING:
  • eating an absurdly low # of calories is too much.
  • I am getting fatter by the second.
  • I'm so hungry and I don't know what to do about it.
  • Everything I eat will be wrong.
  • I will ruin my life by eating something.
  • If I eat, it means I will never be allowed to eat again... so, if I'm only gonna get to eat once in my life time, better not use that one time up now.
  • Everything will be bad if I eat.
  • If I eat, I will feel physically better (less weak, less chest/lung pain) and somehow, feeling physically better is a bad thing.
  • I am horrible.
  • I get weighed in two days and I BETTER have lost weight1!
  • I can't think about anything but food and my own hunger and my body and my calories.
  • I try to find a way to organize and re-organize my food in my head so i can justify eating something right now (unsuccessful at this)
AFTER EATING
  • oh, hello world.
  • I'm still the same size
  • I don't even care if I'm not the same size b/c I feel so much better.
  • Feels way better to not feel like you're about to die.
  • Maybe I should go running, that's how happy I am right now.
  • I like myself.
  • I am not fat.
  • I'm not even super mad at myself.
  • I no longer worry that eating one bite will "ruin my day."
  • Hmm... Actually I'm still hungry.... maybe I should have more.
  • I get weighed in two days and it's fine if I didn't lose weight.
  • Wow I can't get over how much better I feel.
  • Not anxious anymore.
  • Not scared anymore.
  • A lot more happy.
  • This eating thing really was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
  • All the things I thought would happen (I'd be the worse human beign on the planet, I'd gain weight instantly, I'd ruin my day) didn't happen.
  • Relief.
  • Eating more than X calories is actually allowed. It's ok. I'm ok. I'm a lot happier like this.
  • I can think about other things.
  • Massive relief. Less fear, anxiety, nerves. Less physical discomfort. Wow this is so much better.

Amazing what some nutrition does to your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Totally. My emotions and moods get so unstable when I am hypoglycemic. Even my driving gets more impulsive. You can't be expected to perform, mentally and otherwise, when your brain is on fumes!

    Keep on swimming, you're a champ, Laura. <3

    ReplyDelete