Tuesday, June 30, 2009

No running...

Went to the orthopedic/sports doctor today for my leg. I liked him. He was really nice and seemed to "get me." Dr's orders are:
1) No running for 6 weeks
2) Don't pace/stand unnecessarily and don't jump (ha, he kept emphasizing "no jumping" haha)
3) I may walk for 20 min 3 times a week
4) I may do the stationary bike for 10 min followed by the elliptical for 10 min 3 times a week
5) I must take 1 day to rest (or swim - but I'm not going to swim)
6) I am supposed to take 4 advil a day (2 at a time, twice a day)
7) I am supposed to put a heating thing on my hip and another on my knee for 30 min every night
8) I have to go to physical therapy 2 times a week, for 6 weeks.

I don't want to not run or do any of this, but I also want to be able to run without pain/limping again - and if this is what I have to do then I guess I have no choice.

Signed my lease today! Saw my new apartment again - I really like it. Yay. Also worked at the frozen yogurt store - it was so busy.

Food was good (mentally) but in terms of actual intake - well, that could have improved. I still didn't calorie count. But I also kind of ate empty snacks throughout the afternoon and skipped lunch ONLY BECAUSE I didn't have any bread or turkey or lettuce to pack lunch and I had to no time to stop to pick up subway or something. So, learned that I gotta prep more. Gotta prioritize eating even when I'm busy. Even so, I wasn't thrown off and it's all good in the end.

Good things about food today:

1) Ate a dinner I NEVER EVER would have eaten when I just followed the meal plan and counted calories. I ate - ready for this? - a panini sandwich made with whole wheat bread, unmeasured amount of hummus, 3 slices turkey, 1 slices regular fat cheese AND a small side (in a tiny side-dish bowl) of mac and cheese. I was starving so I think it made sense to eat that. It was what I was craving and I was hungry enough for it.

2) No calorie counting or measuring

3) Bigger breakfast than normal due to hunger. (TWO granola bars - not just one)

And what's the scale doing? It's not going up! Eating like this does not make me gain weight.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry about your hip/leg. That sucks but you will get through it.

    I don't think you are eating a lot by any means, but I don't get how people don't gain weight. If I eat one meal I gain weight.

    I am falling asleep. Way past my bed time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PTC, I would probably report that I gained weight if I weighed myself after eating. I don't do that though. I just weigh myself once a day, in the mornings, after I pee. I'm sure I weigh like 3 or 4 more pounds in the afternoon just because I have liquid and food in my system. Do you consider yourself having gained weight if the scale goes up after you eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, also, PTC, I say I'm not gaining weight by eating in accordance with hunger, but that doesn't mean the scale doesn't go up. Over the last week, I have seen the scale go up and down. I'm reacting to the trend I see, not what happens to the scale after one single day (and definitely not after one single meal! If I cared about what the scale said after a single meal, I'd have to stick to literally light weight food - which is just silly).

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry to hear you can't run for awhile- i know how important that is to you! Well, try to enjoy the rest I guess. Sleep in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lisa. Yeah, today I did get to sleep in and it was so nice. I feel like I finally caught up on sleep this summer. I'm about to go do my 20 min of walking. I was considering running, but I know that's a no-no. I'm so tempted though.... (I won't)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Now,
    It's good that you only weigh yourself once in the day. The first thing I do when I wake up is pee and weigh myself. I do consider it "gaining weight" when the scale goes up after I eat. I mean, well, I do but I don't. I have a margin on error and if I surpass it then I consider it gaining weight.

    ReplyDelete