Some things I've realized:
- There was actually a problem - a big problem.
- I did have an eating disorder. And, yes, I am still hanging on to parts of it now.
- It actually really negatively affected my life. The problem was hard and bad.
I read what I wrote and my mouth falls open. Nearly three years ago, I wrote notes for myself in preparation for my first appointment with Tracy. I am in shock that my words were true. I told Tracy what I wrote today. Her response was a saddened, "Aw... I remember..." One thing I wrote was, "I just want to be able to eat something besides an apple without hating myself." I also wrote, "I hope that one day I can eat a sandwich without hating myself and totally shutting down, feeling like I am too bad to live." I mean... woah.
Even if you just read this blog from beginning to end, it's like watching a train wreck. I regressed in the late part of the summer, and if you read the writings from May, June, and July it's like just watching a time bomb. I had no perspective at the time. I was definitely in a disordered frame of mind. I read it now and it's just... It's like a relapse cliche. I was in so much denial. I write things like "I can only feel happy if I run a lot and control my food intake." I mean, Hello! And why was I not concerned?
I read things I wrote when I first started following the meal plan, and I realize I definitely remember this in a better light than what it really was. I write things like, "I ate a sandwich today, and I'm trying not to hide in a closet and cry about it. I know it's the right thing to do, but I feel like the worst person on the planet. I need to have a punishment day tomorrow."
I read things from last year - a year when I was actually fairly decent at following the meal plan - and I realize how rigid I still was. I ate ONLY the exact foods specified on the meal plan. When Tracy made meal plans with me, she did not work in terms of exchanges. She literally planned meals with me - like exactly what to eat for breakfast, exactly what to eat for lunch, etc., etc. I was sooooo determined to follow the meal plan last year. In a way, that's good. However, the fact that I deeply depended on a meal plan in order to guide me was still disordered.
I look where I am now and think - wow! Throughout this whole process, you don't notice change in huge increments. Change comes slowly, one minor decision at a time. But, eventually, those minor decisions add up to create huge change. I still am hanging on to parts of the eating disorder, but there has been big change: I can and will eat anything - no fear foods. I do not have rules the way I used to have them. I do not calorie count as meticulously or measure foods. I am more flexible and less rigid with my eating. I do not hate myself after eating or feel guilt. Sometimes I feel anxiety after eating, but it is less often now. I don't follow a meal plan; I feed myself.
I was not looking forward to Tracy's appointment today because I know my food intake has decreased. Yet, at the same time, I am doing well. I thought that if Tracy noticed my decreased food intake, she would get concerned. I want her to realize the progress I've made, so I don't like it when she's concerned. Therefore, I've always just tried to deny the restriction. I've tried to downplay it as a way of getting her to think I'm fine. It never works. Instead, she sees me downplaying it and minimizing it and that makes her even more concerned. And then a struggle between us ensues.
Today, though, I learned something about handling nutrition appointments. I realized if I'm honest and open, she gets less concerned. I told her the truth today. I told her there is much less cal. counting, less anxiety and guilt and second guessing myself around food. However, I told her that I am purposely eating lightly. I am purposely staying a little hungry. I am avoiding eating starches at lunch and dinner time. I gave her examples of how I am still hanging onto the eating disorder:
- Nearly every day I go to a bagel shop to pick up lunch for others. I am always very hungry. I consider eating a bagel. Instead, I always walk out of there and eat a luna bar instead.
- Yesterday, everyone at my work was eating pizza. I was not eating any pizza even though I was hungry. Instead, I walked next door and ate a luna bar for lunch. I wasn't craving pizza, but I did have this moment where I thought to myself: "Hm, I am feeling like I don't have an eating disorder anymore, but clearly I still do if I am the only one not eating pizza here."
There are other examples like that. So, the truth is: I am getting more restrictive and I am avoiding certain foods. But, when I was able to be honest about that - when I talked to Tracy - the conversation went much better.
She said, "You are able to catch yourself. It's great news that you're aware you're restricting and avoiding certain foods and that you're able to tell me. You used to just try to hide it and sweep it under the rug when you talked with me."
She told me that, continuing do restrict just puts me in a mindset that is hard to get out of. She reminded me that "maybe it's fine now, but it switches so quickly and you'll be stuck." Good reminder.
However, because I was honest with her, she was also able to acknowledge my progress. She told me that she thinks I can easily get back to where I was a few weeks ago with my eating. And she's right about that.
She asked me about how my clothes are fitting - trying to discern if I've lost weight. I told her that I do know that some of my clothes are loser than they were. I told her I am hating my body less though, and, this week, I've been okay with my body more often than not. She told me that I should be okay with my body because my weight is not a high weight so I can stop freaking out about that. She also told me that she thinks I should eat a little more because she really advises against losing weight. She thinks I am losing weight (even though there's no way of knowing - except for clothes - but those lie, seriously). She told me she doesn't want me to lose weight for two reasons: 1) "You don't need to." and 2) "It is such a slippery slope. When people start losing weight when they don't need to it can just trigger the anorexic thoughts."
She wants me to plan more meals with friends because (and she's right) I eat better when I'm with friends. And, eating with friends does help me to get back to a pattern of eating more normally (in terms of portion and food choice). Out of two weeks of food diary, 4 meals stood out as being more normal. They were all with friends.
So, goals from here:
- Eat something besides a luna bar for lunch. Get back to eating real food, like a sandwich.
- Eat more with friends
- When I eat a crepe with Pie Guy on Sunday, eat breakfast beforehand
When I am able to look back at all the things I've written and look at it like it's a trainwreck or a time bomb, I am able to accurately assess my behaviors now and realize "okay, time to put a stop to these before they also turn into a trainwreck." That said, I truly think I'm too healthy now to be a trainwreck again. Still, it's worth it to eat more normally.
I'm not worried. And, I really love that Tracy isn't either. She has faith in my ability to get back to where I was without too much discomfort. I'm glad she realizes that.
Yep you are makeing progress. And being able to see the slip this summer is very helpful. Remember it for the next time (if there is one) when people start getting concerned and fix it then before it get's too bad. But you also were dealing with so much. Stress is an evil thing.
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally hope you get that job at the tutoring place. You seem so much more alive helping the kids and helping others help them. That comes through so much on you and makes you more you. Ok that didn't make much sense but I can see your enthusiasm and passion for it and it makes you a better person. Again not what I ment but I hope you get it.
I'm glad you were able to be honest with Tracy even though you knew she might be concerned/unhappy about what you were reporting. It is good that you're staying on top of it and keeping your team abreast of what's up. I'm glad that you've been more relaxed about food, letting go of counting cals is a HUGE deal. Remember that sometimes even if you don't feel like eating, your body may need it, just try to remember to be objective sometimes; EDs have a mean way of allowing us to justify or explain away cutting back on things. I'm not saying you're slipping or anything, but of course I care about you and just want to make sure you don't lose any of this marvelous ground you've covered, you're a hero! I think that list of goals looks great, hope your weekend goes well. <3
ReplyDeleteTHanks David and CAmmy
ReplyDeleteCammy, ou are so right that sometimes you just ahve to be objective about food. I almost didn't eat dinner tonight because "I didn't mind being a little hungry," but then I thought, "No, I am more hungry than I realize. I have to be. And it's a good thing to feed and take care of my body."
oh, david, also.. about the job. I will find out anytime between now and a few weeks. They have to interview all the candidates first, and I was the first candidate to be interviewed.... i'll let you know one way or the other though.
ReplyDelete